[News] Microsoft Forcefeeding of Windows-only Technology Through the Web

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Forcefeeding of Windows-only Technology Through the Web
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:44:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft to Push Silverlight via Redesigned Website

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft isn't new to the whole "virtual" monopoly business (where a single
| company holds the entire market thanks to "superior technology" and "better
| business sense") - it's just not too often that they're on the wrong side of
| this particular proverbial fence.
|
| When Silverlight was first announced and PopFly, Microsoft's social network
| built to demonstrate and hopefully kickoff Silverlight, were simultaneously
| launched; we were quick to appreciate the technical aspects of .NET and WPF
| taken online, but were careful to make it clear that we didn't think it stood
| much of a chance.
|
| But things might be on the verge of a big change. Large portions Microsoft's
| website are in the middle of a redesign that will feature a fully
| Silverlight-powered interface - doing away with HTML and everything else.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/redesigned-microsoft-website-to-use-silverlight/

Yesterday:

First Look: Popfly
Popfly for Silverlight: a beta glimpse.

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Left Out
|
| The animations are equal to those of Flash in terms of quality. However,
| Popfly does have one flaw, which is no Linux support. Novell Inc. is
| developing a Linux version of Silverlight called "Moonlight."
`----

http://reddevnews.com/news/devnews/article.aspx?editorialsid=930

Related:

First Look: The Popfly Development Environment

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the Silverlight platform -- and Popfly -- does have one flaw, which
| is no Linux support. Even Adobe releases its current builds of the Flash
| runtime to Linux users. Whether Microsoft likes it or not, Linux is here to
| stay and is a growing force on the desktop thanks to universal-audience
| distributions such as Ubuntu.
|
| Popfly is a shot in the arm for Silverlight for the purpose of gaining new
| users quickly, but the platform still has a long way to go. After all,
| Silverlight is a first-generation platform, whereas Flash has had eight
| additional software generations to achieve its market penetration.
`----

http://campustechnology.com/articles/56377/

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569