[News] Ubuntu 'Collaborates' with Debian GNU/Linux Through Patches

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu 'Collaborates' with Debian GNU/Linux Through Patches
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:58:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ubuntu giving back to Debian: facts and numbers!

,----[ Quoet ]
| I’ve always been annoyed by the discussions about “is Ubuntu really giving
| back to Debian?”.
`----

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=271

Collaboration wins?

Open Source: A Question of Metrics

,----[ Quote ]
| What interests me is that he's actually articulating something deep about the
| open source methodology: it can only be usefully applied when there is a
| metric that lets you judge objectively when things get better.
|
| That's why free software works: you take some code and improve it - making it
| faster, more compact, less buggy - or, ideally, all three. It's why
| collaborative novels and symphonies rarely work.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/01/open-source-question-of-metrics.html

Related:

Microsoft, Novell, and now Ubuntu join to boost Apple and Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| I have happily used SUSE Linux in the past and currently run Ubuntu.
| I like Ubuntu, even though my friend Logan says that Ubuntu "is a
| Swahili word that means 'Too stupid to configure Debian.'"
|
| Ubuntu does everything I expect from a Linux distro, and is automatic
| (or automatix) enough that I spend hardly any time worrying about it.
| I turn on my Ubuntu computer -- a ThinkPad T43 - and "it just works."
| I am personally OK with the proprietary (mostly graphics) drivers
| included with the basic Ubuntu distribution, but I also realize that
| some people are not OK with them, and I believe those people should
| not be frozen out of a particular distro because of their software
| licensing preferences.
`----

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/27/1633208

A Diehard SUSE User Tries Ubuntu 6.10

,----[ Quote ]
| SUSE Linux and I have been together for quite a while and when
| you have something that works, you stick with it. Many readers
| are probably in the same boat.
|
| Nevertheless, curiosity got the better of me, so I figured an
| Ubuntu review from a SUSE user's perspective made sense.
|
| [...]
|
| Now I understand about all the positive buzz.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6329/1/

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 updated

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian project is pleased to announce the fourth update of
| its stable distribution Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (codename 'sarge').
`----

http://www.debian.org/News/2006/20061106

Beautifying Debian Etch

,----[ Quote ]
| These issues prompted me to redesign the entire desktop and create a
| visual environment that is pleasant to work with. Take a look at
| the screen-shot below.
`----

http://jozmak.blogspot.com/2007/03/beautifying-debian-etch.html

Pimp Your Kubuntu in 3 Easy Steps

,----[ Quote ]
| That's it, we have managed to pimp your desktop and now, you can
| really enjoy your daily tasks. Also, these last settings will give
| you a clean and spacious kicker.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Pimp-Your-Kubuntu-in-3-Easy-Steps-51468.shtml

6 Reasons Everyone Should Try Ubuntu

| show that while I don’t use Ubuntu, I do support it, here are six reasons
| everyone should at least try Ubuntu.
|
| 1. Descendant of Debian
|
| Though not my favorite distro, there’s no denying the fact that Debian is one
| of the greats. The project was started in 1993, and has enjoyed continued
| success since then. This longevity stands as a testament to the quality of
| work that goes into the distro which spills over into each release of Ubuntu.
`----

http://linuxbraindump.org/2007/08/09/6-reasons-everyone-should-try-ubuntu/

75 minutes to close a bug

,----[ Quote ]
| Today at 11:04am (GMT, or Greenwich Time), Debian developer Erich Schubert
| reported about a bug in Serendipity. According to his blog, it took him 10
| minutes to close it, and he reported it to the guys over at Serendipity.
|
| And at 12:09pm (GMT), another Debian developer named Thijs Kinkhorst had
| uploaded a corrected version from upstream to Debian unstable, and he already
| found out that Sarge and Etch were not affected.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=355

Govt migrates 23 entities to open source platforms - Venezuela

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bnamericas.com/story.jsp?sector=1&noticia=411582&idioma=I