Re: [News] Patent Sellout (Novell) and Patent Megatroll (LANCOR)

> Microsoft paid Novell $355.6 million in 2007 - Who's Novell's daddy?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| With all due respect to Novell, I'm not sure scavenging in my top
>| competitor's pockets for lunch money is something to crow about.
>| Interoperability is great. Being a vassal to Microsoft is not. (The word is
>| appropriate, Novell - look it up.)
>|
>| How can Microsoft removing Novell from effective Linux competition possibly
>| be good for the market, or for Novell, long term? I understand that it's a
>| lot of money, and that's great. In fact, I would assume that nearly every
>| penny of Novell's profit in 2007 came from Microsoft's wallet.
>|
>| But this isn't a recipe for success. Microsoft does not have Linux's best
>| interests at heart. The minute Novell becomes more of a threat to Microsoft
>| than Red Hat is, Novell will be shunted aside. In the meantime, Microsoft is
>| Novell's sugar daddy, making Novell a mere vassal to Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9838466-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

This very much explains the behaviour of Miguel de Icaza, and Novell's
support for all things Microsoft.  They are very much owned, it would
seem.

> News about LANCOR v. OLPC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I know. You thought I was goofing off partying and drinking in the new year.
>| Not really. I was reading some cynical documents just filed in the LANCOR v.
>| OLPC litigation. Yes, it's begun in a Nigerian court. LANCOR has actually
>| done it. Heaven only knows it makes me want to drink. Guess what the Nigerian
>| keyboard makers want from the One Laptop Per Child charitable organization
>| trying to make the world a better place?
>|
>| $20 million dollars.
>|
>| I kid you not. $20 million dollars in "damages".
> `----
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071226210020415
>

> Related:
>
> LANCOR's Adé Oyegbola Answers Groklaw's Questions About OLPC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| PJ: Thank you for responding. I think you misunderstand then one thing about
>| OLPC. OLPC is a recognized charity under the law. Selling a laptop for cost
>| does not make them commercial, Ade.
>|
>| Many of my readers have been asking me, and I hope you do not feel insulted
>| if I ask on their behalf, but is there any connection or have you had any
>| contact with Microsoft or Intel?
> `----
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071203061340580
>

> OLPC's Nigerian patent suit being waged by a man convicted of bank fraud
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The Boston Globe is reporting that LANCOR, the Nigerian-owned company that
>| has filed suit against the One Laptop Per Child project for patent
>| infringement, is actually helmed by a man convicted of bank fraud. He spent a
>| year in prison.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9827611-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The intrusion of law-breakers into the computing world continues.  After
Microsoft, this guy is relatively small beer.  When governments are
going after him, then he'll be in the Microsoft category of
law-breakers.