Re: longest without a reboot

____/ Tom Shelton on Wednesday 02 January 2008 18:14 : \____

> On 2008-01-02, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ Ewok on Wednesday 02 January 2008 11:17 : \____

>>> Your computer P4, 3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM and fast SATA
>>> My computer AMD Duron, 1,3 GHz, 1 GB RAM and IDE
>>>
>>> We could guestimate that your computer is roughly 3 times as fast as
>>> my is. You say that it takes 12 seconds to cold launch open office on
>>> your computer. It took 3 seconds on my computer. I just clocked it.
>>> That is 4 times faster than on your computer. Since I use linux and
>>> you use windows, I guess that, that would explain the difference. That
>>> would make linux 12 times faster than windows.
>>
>> OOo can be launched (from a 'cold' state) within just a few seconds on this
>> old PC that I use. It's very fast.
>>
>> ...Too bad for those who still use Windows because _even_ if they choose
>> Free open source, they are treated like second-class citizens.
>>

> If this ends up being a duplicate - forgive me.  I had a problem posting
> the original - and I wasn't sure if it had worked.  So, I reconstructed
> the post:
>
> Define "a few"?  Here are my system stats (fresh reboot to ensure a cold
> start):
>
> tom@bob ~ $ uname -a
> Linux bob 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 #5 PREEMPT Mon Dec 3 14:02:36 MST 2007 i686
> Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> tom@bob ~ $ uptime
>  04:01:12 up 6 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.12, 0.24, 0.15
>
>  tom@bob ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>  processor       : 0
>  vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>  cpu family      : 6
>  model           : 11
>  model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU                1400MHz
>  stepping        : 1
>  cpu MHz         : 1392.412
>  cache size      : 256 KB
>  fdiv_bug        : no
>  hlt_bug         : no
>  f00f_bug        : no
>  coma_bug        : no
>  fpu             : yes
>  fpu_exception   : yes
>  cpuid level     : 2
>  wp              : yes
>  flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
>  mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
>  bogomips        : 2814.99
>  clflush size    : 32
>
> tom@bob ~ $ cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:       513800 kB
> MemFree:        333484 kB
> Buffers:         10784 kB
> Cached:          92032 kB
> SwapCached:          0 kB
> Active:          87928 kB
> Inactive:        63372 kB
> HighTotal:           0 kB
> HighFree:            0 kB
> LowTotal:       513800 kB
> LowFree:        333484 kB
> SwapTotal:      500464 kB
> SwapFree:       500464 kB
> Dirty:              12 kB
> Writeback:           0 kB
> AnonPages:       48504 kB
> Mapped:          40628 kB
> [...]

Very odd. Which version of OOo is it and what did you do to it? ;-)

On this 1.8GHz machine, with RAM fully occupied (therefore OOo needs to resort
to paging), OOo just takes a few seconds to launch for the first time. Don't
ask me how. I haven't a clue what you did.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
 02:20:01 up 23 days, 15:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.56, 0.82