Re: working on Microsoft time ..

* Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

> Several years ago (at work), there was a Windows XP machine I sometimes had to
> type some logs into. The UI requires some time getting used to (it's a PITA),
> but there are some workarounds. Also, if all you do on the PC is a single task
> (or browse with a single (!!) tab), then it's acceptable. Windows is suitable
> for children and for people who were only recently introduced to mousing. For
> anybody else, it's the equivalent of bicycles with two supporting wheels on
> each side and no gear.

Nonsense.  You can tailor Windows quite a bit (as you note, it can take
some effort and risk of instability).  Certainly not as tailorable
out-of-the-box as any Linux distro, of course.  Like you, I greatly
prefer Linux.

BUT:  I was looking at this fancy laptop that this lady uses to
create schedules and things for her soccer arena.  Nice laptop, about as
powerful as this development laptop I'm using now.

I realized that the thing was soooooo much more powerful than what she
needed.  She is not using 1/32nd of the power of that thing.

But we gotta keep that upgrade cycle goin' don't'cha know!  $100, $200,
or even $400 is not enough of a price line, what with Windows' big-ass
90% margins.  Gotta keep the hardware high to hide the price of the OS.

--
This sig has expired.  Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to