Re: I suppose it is up to us to post some content and scroll down the sabotagers

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 17:52:36 -0800, Tim Smith
<reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roy's been back and forth a few times.  If he's trying to argue that
> you can ditch Windows for Linux, then OpenOffice and other Linux apps
> read and write .doc files great, so you'll have no trouble with your
> coworkers who refuse to see the light and stick with Windows.  But if
> someone (especially a government entity) publishes something in .doc
> format, then they are forcing people to use Microsoft products,
> because they are the only things that can read .doc.

I can't speak for Roy in particular, but I think the actual argument is
more along the lines of it being bad form for a government to publish
things in a proprietary format, even if somebody has managed to figure
out how to read and write the current version of that format.

For the record, you haven't been all that consistent either.  On the one
hand you've worried extensively about the costs of dealing with
documents that do not convert perfectly between DOC and ODF.  On the
other you're now saying that OOo reads DOC format well enough that it
does not matter if the government uses it for public documents.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| http://www.haucks.org/