[News] [Rival] Seattle (Washington) Has Computer Issues

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Seattle (Washington) Has Computer Issues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:27:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Computer Glitch Halts Seattle New Year's Fireworks

,----[ Quote ]
| At the stroke of midnight New Year's Eve, Seattle's fireworks show ground to
| a halt. The source of the problem is reported to be a corrupted file that
| wasn't checked until the last minute. After two reboots, the fireworks had to
| be detonated manually. And yes ... one blog commenter, claiming to have
| worked on prior shows, said that the shows run on Windows...
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/01/1255200&from=rss

Was it a Mac or a PC running the fireworks?

,----[ Quote ]
| This, folks, is what everyone wants to know. The Space Needle folks blame it
| on a "corrupted file," but didn't offer any more technical information.
| KING5.com has the video here, and you can see photos here.
`----

http://blogs.king5.com/citizenrain/2008/01/was_it_a_mac_or_a_pc_running_t.html

"Corrupted file," they say. Maybe the neighbours in Redmond told them to say
it, or maybe they were using Windows Home Server. Just days ago:

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that the point of Windows Home Server is to allow you to store
| your media files, a bug in the storage process that could result in
| corrupted files is bound to get attention.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9838093-37.html?tag=newsmap

A year or so ago, a Seattle hospital (the largest one I seem to recall) became
a zombie farm. Life in the hands of a Windows botnet controlled by criminals
overseas. It's nice, isn't it?

Related:

The following article the Seattle Times removed shortly after it had been
published:

http://digg.com/tech_news/How_s_Vista_doing_Analysts_say_fine_users_still_annoyed

Also see:

Seattle Area Bloggers Needed for Microsoft User Research Study

,----[ Quote ]
| For your participation, we'll give you your choice of retail
| software and hardware from our extensive list. Current titles
| include the latest Xbox, Xbox 360, and PC games, keyboards,
| Microsoft Office, Windows, productivity software and much more.
`----

http://blogs.msdn.com/usability_recruiting/archive/2007/01/05/seattle-area-bloggers-needed-for-microsoft-user-research-study.aspx

Gifts for bloggers.