Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

* Antonio Murphie fired off this tart reply:

> In other words.... it's just like "Remote Desktop" which has been bundled
> with every Windows computer for the past 8 years.

Nope.  First, X has been around in one form or another for 23 years.
SSH has been around for 12 years.

Second, SSH can be used to encrypt or tunnel all sorts of protocols:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell#History

      terminal
      ftp
      rsync
      cp
      remote monitoring
      file system

Not to mention VPN support and usage as a proxy.

I like this one, using your vaunted "Remote Desktop" protocol:

   ssh and rdesktop. Three computers, the computer that will run
   rdesktop and ssh, a computer used to obtain access to a remote
   network, and the last will be the computer you want rdesktop to
   display.

   "ssh -L3389:mytarget.mycompany.net:3389 sshtarget.mycompany.net"

   Just log into the middle computer and do
   nothing on it. Open another shell from the first computer running ssh
   and type "rdesktop localhost". This example uses the middle computer to
   port forward 3389 from the end computer to the first computer. If on
   Windows, run ssh using another local port, e.g.

   "ssh -L3390:mydesktop.mycompany.net:3389 sshserver.mycompany.net"

   Start the native Windows Remote Desktop client and type localhost:3390 to
   remote into "mydesktop.mycompany.net"

GNU/Linux and OSS wins (get it? get it?) again!

--
Tux rox!