Re: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 01 January 2008 02:48 : \____

> On Dec 31, 12:25 pm, Kier <val...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:08:44 -0800, ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > <Quote>
>> > ...the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step
>> > further: ...the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who
>> > has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.
>>
>> > The industry's lawyer in the case [against an individual named
>> > Howell], Ira Schwartz, argues in a brief filed earlier this month that
>> > the MP3 files Howell made on his computer from legally bought CDs are
>> > "unauthorized copies" of copyrighted recordings.
>> > ad_icon
>>
>> > "I couldn't believe it when I read that," says Ray Beckerman, a New
>> > York lawyer who represents six clients who have been sued by the RIAA.
>> > "The basic principle in the law is that you have to distribute actual
>> > physical copies to be guilty of violating copyright. But recently, the
>> > industry has been going around saying that even a personal copy on
>> > your computer is a violation."
>>
>> > RIAA's hard-line position seems clear. Its Web site says: "If you make
>> > unauthorized copies of copyrighted music recordings, you're stealing.
>> > You're breaking the law and you could be held legally liable for
>> > thousands of dollars in damages."
>>
>> > They're not kidding. In October, after a trial in Minnesota -- the
>> > first time the industry has made its case before a federal jury --
>> > Jammie Thomas was ordered to pay $220,000 to the big record companies.
>> > That's $9,250 for each of 24 songs she was accused of sharing online.
>>
>> > [Murky legality of copying CDs to your computer...]
>>
>> > The Howell case was not the first time the industry has argued that
>> > making a personal copy from a legally purchased CD is illegal. At the
>> > Thomas trial in Minnesota, Sony BMG's chief of litigation, Jennifer
>> > Pariser, testified that "when an individual makes a copy of a song for
>> > himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Copying a song you
>> > bought is "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy,' " she said....
>>
>> > The RIAA's legal crusade against its customers is a classic example of
>> > an old media company clinging to a business model that has collapsed.
>> > Four years of a failed strategy has only "created a whole market of
>> > people who specifically look to buy independent goods so as not to
>> > deal with the big record companies," Beckerman says. "Every problem
>> > they're trying to solve is worse now than when they started."
>>
>> > The industry "will continue to bring lawsuits" against those who
>> > "ignore years of warnings," RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy said in a
>> > statement. "It's not our first choice, but it's a necessary part of
>> > the equation. There are consequences for breaking the law." And,
>> > perhaps, for firing up your computer.
>> > </Quote>
>>
>> >http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR200...
>>
>> These loons need their heads examining. What planet do they live on? Do
> [...]

One of these guys (Dan Glickman was his name, IIRC) actaully uses words
like "criminals". Calling copyright infringers (some of who are 12) "pirates"
was apparently a demonisation not effective enough.

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Switch to GNU/Linux. Visit http://www.getgnulinux.org/
 04:00:01 up 21 days, 16:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.73, 1.02, 1.52