Windows on stock exchanges (was Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars?)

In article <1859451.iClWbm29tl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> I think Windows is safe enough for music, not the operation of the car's
> mechanics. Ask the airlines or the NYSE if they are anywhere near considering
> Windows.

They've been using Windows at the NYSE for at least year:

   October 04, 2006 (Computerworld) -- Until a few months ago, the
   clearing and billing system for NYSE Group Inc.'s stock options
   exchange consisted of about 800 discrete Cobol programs running on
   an IBM mainframe. Today, the entire application set has migrated
   onto a pair of clustered, quadprocessor Windows servers. The
   recompiled programs remain in Cobol today, but they won't stay there
   for long

<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&;
articleId=266156&pageNumber=1>

NASDAQ, too, for at least two years:

   Nasdaq replaced aging Tandem mainframes used to disseminate market
   trade data with a SQL Server 2005 system that handles 5,000
   transactions per second and 100,000 queries a day and can scale up
   to 8 million new rows of data per day, according to Ken Richmond,
   vice president of engineering for the stock exchange. Richmond
   praised the integration of the latest editions of Visual Studio and
   SQL Server, which he said increased the productivity of his
   programmers by allowing them to write database applications in the
   easier C# or Visual Basic code rather than the increasingly esoteric
   T-SQL language.

<http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,
106050,00.html>

Also the London stock exchange, and many others around the world:

<http://www.windowsfs.com/TheMag/tabid/54/articleType/ArticleView/article
Id/2023/Default.aspx>

Some of these also use Linux, of course.

--
--Tim Smith