Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Bullies Startups, Breaks the Law Again

____/ Linonut on Sunday 20 January 2008 16:32 : \____

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/01/18/the-hard-side-of-mister-softie/

>> Didn't they stand trial for such abuse of the OEMs? Same old business
>> (crime) at Microsoft. More examples of bullying below.
>
> I remember reading in some book where Microsoft used the same treatment
> to get people to use Word instead of other word-processors, in the early
> days.
>
> I like this quote:
>
>    "This is a great example of why Google is the leader in the Net
>    ecosystem and Microsoft is not," an angry entrepreneur (who does
>    not work for Google) told me. "Microsoft is the
>    anti-data-portability company."

Yes, it's their business strategy (I can fetch some embarrassing Gates quotes,
as in Pearls of stupidity/vanity). Schmidt has explicitly advised against it
in a seminar last year. Google cash in on goodwill, not handcuffs.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
Mem:    515500k total,   412088k used,   103412k free,     1432k buffers