[News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

  • Subject: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:56:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Lessig's last Free Culture talk, Stanford, Jan 31

,----[ Quote ]
| Last June, Larry announced that he was switching tacks. The problems of
| copyright, he said, were a subset of the larger problem of corruption:
| capture of the regulatory process by special interests to the detriment of
| society as a whole. So Larry was going to fight corruption instead.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/01/16/lessigs-last-free-cu.html

Copyright Extensions and ISP Filtering: Breaking EU Culture, One Amendment at a
Time

,----[ Quote ]
| As you may recall, the European Parliament's forthcoming report on the
| Cultural Industries has become the latest target of lobbying by the recording
| industry. First, they attempted to insert language that advocated that
| European ISPs filter and block their own users on the basis of suspected
| infringement. As we explained to European Members of Parliament, such
| policies would not only harm the privacy and security of Net users - they
| would not even work to combat infringement. Like DRM, everyone would lose,
| including the music industry and artists that IFPI seeks to protect.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/01/copyright-extensions-and-isp-filtering-breaking-eu-culture-one-amendment-time
http://tinyurl.com/2sk3ux

Related:

Malls may not regulate content of free speech, says California Supreme Court

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=7366