Re: Mac vs. Linux... why?

____/ RonB on Sunday 20 January 2008 09:04 : \____

> Conor wrote:
>
>> Because Mac users see themselves as above everyone.
>
> I've seen a bit of that, but you've got to realize that, for whatever
> reason, Macs seem to attract the high-strung "artistic" types. The attitude
> kind of goes with the territory.
>
> I don't hate the Mac OS, but Macs have always been well out of my price
> range. (Please understand that I'm a cheap bastard.)

Given enough market share, Apple (even Google) can become as bad as Intel and
Microsoft. What makes a lot of Free software immune to this 'badness' is the
nature of licenses which encourage progress, sharing, ethics (e.g.
Tivoization). To some (think Oracle), Linux is just a tool. To others, it's a
great tool, but also things which go beyond the practical.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
roy      pts/2        cg093a.halls.man Sun Jan 20 09:29   still logged in