Re: [News] OpenOffice-Microsoft Office Benchmark Exposes Shameless Microsoft FUD

____/ 7 on Saturday 19 January 2008 19:17 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Does OpenOffice have an unfair notoriety as a performance hog?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Therefore, do not fall for the statement that OpenOffice.org is more
>> | bloated. Those statements either stem from ignorance or are FUD. Both
>> | are dangerous.
>> `----
>>
>> http://freewebsoftwarereviews.blogspot.com/2008/01/final.html
>>
>> Watch the benchmarks.
>>
>> Can OpenOffice.org do the job?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | To continue my look at how non-profits and the free software community
>> | can engage, I?ve decided to look at some popular free software products
>> | and see how well they fit the need of an average charity?namely my
>> | employer.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/can_openoffice_do_the_job
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> [2006:] 100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Simon's official response explained the business rationale behind
>> | offering support for OpenOffice.org: "OpenOffice.org has becomep
>> | henomenally successful, Sun alone has shipped more than 70 million
>> | copies of OpenOffice.org 2.0," he said. "Out there, there
>> | are maybe 100 million copies of OpenOffice.org. It would be
>> | senseless to ignore that opportunity."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os
> archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html
>

> So open office's ODF user base is increasing
> at the rate of at least 1 million new users per week!!!!

Yes, there was an article in December (maybe November) where Sun claimed 1
million download a week. BUT WAIT! Linux users don't download OpenOffice.org
(or even Firefox). It comes preinstalled, which is another reason nobody knows
the real numbers for sure (not even Mozilla or Sun). There are many CDs that
contain OpenOffice.org on them and they are sometimes passed from one hand to
another.

> ISO was right to make it an international standard.
> There is a need for ODF.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org

Well, ODF is supported by dozens of applications and many governments.
Microsoft is so afraid of it that it has resorted to bribery, lies,
obstruction of voting, and basically lots of fraudulent activities, including
the corruption of top-level officials. I have it all documented.

I will have you I used to be less critical of Microsoft because I needed to be
aware of how it'll be interpreted in the future. I was gentle, polite, and I
also wrote everything carefully and slowly (I write fast and poorly now). What
changed a lot of this were the vicious attacks by what many would argue are
Microsoft anonymous shills (same nyms since the OS/2 days). Forgeries, libel
saying that I'm transsexual and a child molester, attacks through my employers
and friends and so forth turned me a little more sour. Thanks to scum like
Gary Stewart, my skin got a little thicker. That's probably when I then
started to explore Microsoft more properly and we can probably all share the
findings. This is /not/ an ordinary company. Remember this.

Thanks to the Internet, the criminal activities at Microsoft will come to light
in years to come. There's plenty more where it all came from and sometimes I
wonder if the recent staff exodus (it began last year) is a case of running
away from the past. Cringely argued that many ex-Softies hide in the
Washington suburbs feeling guilty for the way they corrupted for easy cash.
The more you find out, the more true this seems.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
Cpu(s): 25.0%us,  4.2%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.2%id,  2.8%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st