[News] Software Patents a Huge Mess, Ruin Linux

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents a Huge Mess, Ruin Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:57:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Here Comes Trouble: An Antidote to Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The $250 million Vonage burned through as a result of the patent lawsuit
| brought by Verizon et al provides yet another example of why patents for
| business processes implemented on computers (a.k.a. software patents) deserve
| to die. Verizon’s two successful “name translation” patents negate an open
| standard assembled by Cisco, Microsoft, IBM, Intel and Vocaltec via the VoIP
| Forum during 1996. The threat of patent litigation cleared the landscape of
| independent VoIP companies the VoIP Forum sought to make possible.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2008/01/18/here-comes-trouble-an-antidote-to-software-patents/

Verizon Sues Cox for IP Patent Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Verizon is going after Cox, which has more than 2.1 million IP telephony
| customers.
`----

http://www.phoneplusmag.com/hotnews/81h18111359.html

IP-watch: Online Content, Patent Reform Are Key For Europe In 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| EU governments on 22 November approved the main elements of a pan-European
| patent litigation system (IPW, European Policy, 23 November 2007). The
| proposal for such a system has been under discussion for several years but
| stalled after it was reintroduced in 2006.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-36091/ip-watch:online-content-patent-reform-are-key-for-europe-in-2008

Re: patents on Frets on Fire, Pydance, StepMania and such games

,----[ Quote ]
| Software patents continue to chill adoption of innovations. Fight the
| corresponding legislation at every opportunity.

Quote for the day:

"Strangely, after the court of appeals decision [denying public access to the
depositions], [Mr. Gates] suddenly became available for tomorrow morning."

                              --David Boies, Special trial counsel for the DOJ

Related:

Amazon Sneaks One-Click Past the Patent System

,----[ Quote ]
| By changing the word 'a' to 'the' and adding the phrase 'purchasable through
| a shopping cart model,' lawyers for Amazon.com have apparently managed to
| reinstate two of CEO Jeff Bezos' 1-Click Patent claims that were rejected a
| month earlier.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/22/1756237&from=rss

Patent Reformers O'Reilly, Bezos Mum on 1-Click

,----[ Quote ]
| Equally untalkative was Bezos, who deflected questions on the damage done by
| Calveley's DIY legal effort, telling a Wall Street analyst to 'refer to our
| public filings' (although nothing on the subject appears in the 8-K and 10-Q
| filings).
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/27/1144222&from=rss

USPTO Increases Scope Of Amazon's 1-Click Patent

,----[ Quote ]