[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Make Extortion, (Cyber) Wars, Power Cuts

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Make Extortion, (Cyber) Wars, Power Cuts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:55:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
CIA Admits Cyberattacks Blacked Out Cities

,----[ Quote ]
| We have information, from multiple regions outside the United States, of
| cyber intrusions into utilities, followed by extortion demands. We suspect,
| but cannot confirm, that some of these attackers had the benefit of inside
| knowledge. We have information that cyberattacks have been used to disrupt
| power equipment in several regions outside the United States. In at least one
| case, the disruption caused a power outage affecting multiple cities. We do
| not know who executed these attacks or why, but all involved intrusions
| through the Internet.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205901631

"Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."

                                                        --Philippe Kahn

2 days ago:

Another Estonia Cyberattack

| The attack, which ended Tuesday, was minimally disruptive, according to
| Hillar Aarelaid, manager of Estonia's Computer Emergency Response Team
| (CERT). He described it as an "ordinary DDOS" (distributed denial of service)
| attack in which the news agency's servers were flooded with Internet traffic,
| in an attempt to crash them.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141438-c,cybercrime/article.html#

Related:

Bush, Estonian president talk cyberattacks

,----[ Quote ]
| "When you are a highly Interneted [sic] country like we are, then these
| kinds of attacks can do very serious damage."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9734382-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

EU should class cyber attacks as terrorism: Estonia

,----[ Quote ]
| Estonia will propose at a meeting of European Union justice
| ministers next week that the bloc consider cyber attacks as
| "acts of terror", Estonian Justice Minister Rein Lang said Thursday.
`----

http://www.france24.com/france24Public/en/administration/afp-news.html?id=070607160418.pfpmeqvt&cat=science

U.S. cyber counterattack: Bomb 'em one way or the other

,----[ Quote ]
| If the United States found itself under a major cyberattack aimed
| at undermining the natio's critical information infrastructure,
| the Department of Defense is prepared, based on the authority of
| the president, to launch a cyber counterattack or an actual
| bombing of an attack source.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/020807-rsa-cyber-attacks.html

The feds weigh in on Windows security

,----[ Quote ]
| "The benefits of this move are enormous: Common, secure configurations
| can help slow botnet spreading, can radically reduce delays in patching,
| can stop many attacks directly, and organizations that have made the
| move report that it actually saves money rather than costs money,"
| Paller wrote.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html

Telegraph floored by DDoS attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Cyber-attacks have been much in the news of late. Last week,
| Russian and European leaders held a summit in the aftermath of a
| three-week cycle of denial of service attacks targeting the
| Baltic countries' internet infrastructure.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/telegraph_ddos/

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/