Re: [News] Sub-$150 ($132) PCs on Their Way, with Linux Optional

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 19 January 2008 08:56 : \____

>> Ripple Mini PC - The Sub $150 PC
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The Ripple Mini PC is on sale in Korea for about , no word on whether it
>>| will be released in the US and Europe.
>>|
>>| Add Linux to it and you have one seriously cheap PC.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/?p=300
>>
>> So you could get 5 whole Linux computers for the price of Vista (DVD alone).
>>

> Same argument can also be made for the new Mac Airbook.

No, the MacBook Air would cost about 13 times more (I'm not kidding!).

> A whole new
> round of commoditisation is taking place, and it's going to be fantastic
> for the consumer.

And remember that the average consumer cannot afford to spend money on MacBook
Air. That's why these low-cost computers are so disruptive. Most people I know
who are not 'computer freaks' or computer professionals simply browse the Web.
Even E-mail is becoming Web browser-bound.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England