Re: [News] Sub-$150 ($132) PCs on Their Way, with Linux Optional

> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 19 January 2008 08:56 : \____

>>> Ripple Mini PC - The Sub $150 PC
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/?p=300
>>>
>>> So you could get 5 whole Linux computers for the price of Vista (DVD alone).
>>>

>> Same argument can also be made for the new Mac Airbook.
>
> No, the MacBook Air would cost about 13 times more (I'm not kidding!).

For sure.  This is why Apple continue to create significant margin.
They do not need anywhere near so many sales in order to get their
margin.  Still, this is precisely the same model B&O used and still use,
even to the point of having dedicated shops and repair houses and so on.
I know - I used to work in a B&O one when I was many years younger.

Like B&O, the kit is well built, works, and has a solid following.  B&O
have survived the best which European, North American, then Japanese,
Hong Kong, Taiwanese then Korean etc. etc. companies could throw at them
and are still going strong.

So long as there is a computing market, I expect that Apple will survive
in the same way.

>> A whole new
>> round of commoditisation is taking place, and it's going to be fantastic
>> for the consumer.
>
> And remember that the average consumer cannot afford to spend money on MacBook
> Air. That's why these low-cost computers are so disruptive. Most people I know
> who are not 'computer freaks' or computer professionals simply browse the Web.
> Even E-mail is becoming Web browser-bound.

I agree;  Apple's target market is a wealthy market.