[News] Colombia's High Interest in Free Software, Dell's Success with Linux

  • Subject: [News] Colombia's High Interest in Free Software, Dell's Success with Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 03:52:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Free software conference in Colombia

,----[ Quote ]
| The first International Conference on Free Software, Technological Literacy
| and Solidarity Economy took place in Bogotá (Colombia) from 13th to 15th of
| November. More than 80 speakers and 600 assistants attended at the the
| Tequendama Hotel, a traditional meeting point in the city.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_software_conference_in_columbia

Needless to mention, Microsoft corrupts Colombia (examples at the bottom).

Linux seems to be doing Dell well.

,----[ Quote ]
| Going through my daily news fix I came across this story titled Dell seen
| back to strong growth. In this article it states that Dell has seen some
| rapid expansion in the forth quarter due to rapid growth in the retail side
| of things.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/linux-seems-to-be-doing-dell-well-21868

Related:

Dell's Ubuntu Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The non-free drivers necessary to support the modem and the wireless network
| card were pre-installed. No preinstalled third-party junk, either, which is a
| refreshing change from Dell's Windows machines.
`----

http://apparentlymart.livejournal.com/11418.html

Dell announces Ubuntu 7.10 PCs with DVD playback

,----[ Quote ]
| It has long been possible to play DVDs on Linux. However, with most Linux
| distributions, it is necessary to manually enable this functionality. That is
| because while the user may legally own both the DVD he or she is trying to
| play and the computer it's being played on, in the United States, enabling
| open-source-based operating systems to play commercial DVDs, with their wide
| variety of DRM (digital rights management) schemes, is something of a legal
| swamp. There are legal ways around this, and presumably Dell has invested in
| one of them.

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-15406/the-vendor-also-invades-colombia

Gates promotes PC training in Colombia

,----[ Quote ]