[News] Some Governments Said to Have Conspired Against Freedom (Software)

  • Subject: [News] Some Governments Said to Have Conspired Against Freedom (Software)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 03:48:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Interview with Richard M. Stallman

,----[ Quote ]
| It is important to know this because we will always face pressure, from those
| who are powerful and would like to take away our freedom, to surrender our
| freedom—and they frequently offer us something attractive in exchange. For
| instance, B’liar wanted to abolish the Rights of Englishmen, and to serve his
| American master, Bush, faithfully; so he offered Britons “protection” from
| this or that, plus the imagined idea that he influences his master on their
| behalf through the “special relationship”.
|
| The same thing happens in our field, too. Companies making consumer
| electronics products want to impose DRM on us; they want to do this in
| programs that they receive as free software, then pass them on to us in such
| a way that we do not have the freedom to change them. So they invite us to
| allow our software to be tivoized, and offer us, as an inducement, that our
| software will be “more popular” if we cave in.
|
| The only way to keep our freedom is to have the steadfastness to reject those
| tempting offers. We have to move to a license like GPL version 3 that will
| stop these tempters in their tracks.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/interview_with_richard_stallman

White House routinely destroyed emails

,----[ Quote ]
| THE BUSH administration has destroyed countless emails during a crucial part
| of US history in the interests, it claims, of saving disk space.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/18/spooks-read-everything

SHI*tel and Microsoft do this too (examples below). Corruption, corruption,
corruption probably in all cases.

Related:

Bush team deletes embarrassing emails

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Washington Post, countless e-mails to and from
| many key White House staffers have been deleted to avoid
| congressional subpoenas.

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
| Farnan gave Intel 30 days to recover as many of the missing e-mails
| as possible and to draw up a report on the steps it is taking to do
| so, Mulloy said.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two (Bob Cringely)

,----[ Quote ]
| "So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's
| hardware OEMs, which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending. ..."
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

'---[ Quote ]
`----