[News] [Rival] Microsoft Snubs Industry Standards, Attacks Google by Proxy?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Snubs Industry Standards, Attacks Google by Proxy?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:29:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenGL - Microsoft left?

,----[ Quote ]
| Small comment again. Got into a discussion over OpenGL. Now, as I've posted
| before, I hold that DirectX is a dead format. It's a proprietary API that
| locks developers out of the maximum number of systems they can publish on.
|
| [...]
|
| The second is... Microsoft. What makes this even more odd is that I know that
| unlike Nintendo, Microsoft used to be part of the OpenGL Architecture Review
| Board. So...
|
| The next time someone says to you that Microsoft supports open Standards...
| point out that Microsoft left OpenGL in 2003... and hasn't made any effort to
| rejoin.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/01/opengl-microsoft-left.html

Viacom's $1 Billion Lawsuit Of YouTube: Google Replaces Attorneys On The Case

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawsuit was filed in march last year, and in May, Google hired Phil Beck,
| a partner with Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP, to lead its
| defense. Beck has represented George W. Bush in Florida during the 2000
| presidential election, and Microsoft (NasdaqGS: MSFT - News) during its
| anti-trust trial.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/080117/1_318813_id.html?.v=1

Viacom and Microsoft are business partners and this is sort of like a lawsuit
by proxy -- a friend helps a friend.

Related:

Microsoft Befriends Google's Foes

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/06/microsoft-google-blodget-tech-cx_hb_0306blodget.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/3bewws

,----[ Quote ]
| To that point, Soapbox was littered with pirated videos. This put
| Microsoft in a pickle. The software giant was agreeing to distribute
| content for entertainment companies whose copyright was commonly
| violated at its video-sharing site.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9725064-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Legal Titans Glare At Each Other Across Google-Viacom Battlefield

,----[ Quote ]
| The Viacom versus Google case is going to be an interesting showdown.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/03/each_side_digs_.html

Viacom: 'Daily Show' clips just the beginning

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9799914-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20