Re: [News] Btrfs Coming to the Linux Kernel

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 18 January 2008 23:01 : \____

> Jerry McBride <jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_Online_Resizing_Ext3_Conversion_and_More
>>>

>> Hopefully this will turn into one of those nuggets you rarely find anymore.
>> The performance graphs look good, but it obviously has a bit of work ahead
>> if it wants to displace current filesystems. I'd like to see a comparison
>> of reiserfs and btrfs... That would reveal quite a bit.
>>
>> That said, it would be very nice to be able to resize an online filesystem.
>> As is now, it's backup... resize and probably restore... Not a lot of fun.
>>

> It's easy to see why open-source is winning the mindshare war.  To even
> be able to consider these issues is quite incredible, really.  Someone
> is working on these questions, they're providing their solutions out
> into the community for testing/trialling.  I'm in no doubt that ext3 and
> reiserfs will eventually be replaced with superior systems.
>
> Proprietary systems have no possibility to keep pace with this.

Unless I remember incorrectly (I haven't checked), Btrfs is either developed or
assisted by Oracle. It's almost a one-man project (think Hans Reiser) and I
can imagine that its purpose is to improve performance of disk access for
databases (I'm guessing here). Either way, the modularity of the O/S
facilitates more optimisation and tweaking for special-purpose tasks. It's
hardly surprising that Oracle releases its databases for Linux first and for
Windows only later on. It's also far from surprising that Microsoft attacks
Linux so viciously while patenting the "modular O/S" (I kid you not), which
acknowledges Microsoft understands its problem.

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Switch to GNU/Linux. Visit http://www.getgnulinux.org/
roy      pts/2        cg093a.halls.man Fri Jan 18 17:22   still logged in