Re: [News] MSBBC Covers UMPCs But Neglects to Mention Top Dog Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 January 2008 17:29 : \____

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>>> Ultra-mobile future beckons for PCs
>> [...]
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7178278.stm
>>>
>>> It mentions Windows twice despite the fact that Windows fails in this
>>> area. It doesn't mention Linux which takes over it. Another fine
>>> example of poor poor biased reporting. No wonder people are left with
>>> the wrong impression that Windows is strong.
>>
>> I sent a complaint, for all the good it'll do, as follows:
>>
>> .----
>>| In your story covering this year's CES, entitled "Ultra-mobile
>>| future beckons for PCs", you describe one of the most successful
>>| devices at that show (the Asus Eee PC) as "a lightweight machine,
>>| which can run Windows XP".
>>|
>>| What you fail to mention, is that this device does, in fact, come
>>| installed with a version of Linux ... not Windows. In fact there is
>>| no mention of Linux in that article at all, despite the fact that
>>| the vast majority of mobile and embedded devices on the market
>>| right now (and in the near future) are Linux devices.
>>|
>>| Is there some particular reason you chose to obfuscate this
>>| information, since this does not seem entirely consistent with
>>| impartial reporting coverage?
>>|
>>| In my opinion, this represents a factual error, and you should
>>| publish a clarification.
>>|
>>| Thank you.
>> `----
>>

> Good move. We should see if this is responded to, if not, perhaps
> highlight it to the Reg, say?

I know for a fact that Mac users were complaining when computers (as
in "Windows") were claimed "not secure" by the BBC, There was never a mention
of the O/S. Synonymy.

Anyway, the BBC adapted accordingly over time.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
 02:05:02 up 38 days, 14:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.96, 1.41