Re: [News] How Software Patent Ruin Good Software (and Games)

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 17 January 2008 20:23 : \____

>> Patent concerns
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in
>> | Fedora which meet the following criteria:
>> |
>> | A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined
>> | point or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as
>> | the target(s) crosses that point or line, and gets points.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-games-list/2008-January/msg00022.html
>
> This is a joke, right?
>
> How the Hell can anyone -->patent<-- a *game*???
>
> This bloody stupid American patent crap is out of freakin' control.

I think Konami has some patents on the game of soccer (as played using a
computer). Doug posted a few links a while ago.

Oh... I've just done a quick search. here is an example:

,----[ Quote ]
|   From:   Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
|   Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
|   Subject:   Konami patents passing the ball in Soccer ..
|   Date:   Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:38:07 +0000
|

| "I have read the abstract and some of the claims, and as far as I can
| make it, the claim is for a football game where the player can assign
| and store commands to pass the ball to the nearest available player"
|
| http://tinyurl.com/y6oma9

http://technollama.blogspot.com/2006/10/game-software-patent-upheld-in-europe.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Tasks: 158 total,   1 running, 157 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie