Re: Linux Market's Worth to Triple

____/ Rex Ballard on Thursday 17 January 2008 21:59 : \____

> On Jan 17, 10:36 am, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>
> What's being counted?
>
>> > Linux products and services to touch $7.7 bn by 2012
>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>
> I've seen presentations by IBM that show Linux in in the $32 bn range.

I saw this figure as well... several times in the past as a matter of fact.

> The difference in the numbers could be because the IBM numbers
> included consulting, hardware, and support services for Linux based
> solutions, and the report above was focused only on operating system
> support and licenses.

It's important to emphasise that Gates-funded analyst firms like IDC and
Gartner aka "Partner") are not permitted to use anything but Microsoft's
definitions and raw data, so there's _plenty_ of disinformation.

> Linux itself is usually free.  At most it's about $50 for a full
> retail version which includes a documentation book and CDs or DVD.
> Support contracts can range from $50/year for e-mail and online
> support, to $1500/month for premium support including 24/7 telephone
> service.  The average support cost for servers is about $1500/year per
> processor (single or multicore).
>
> If that's all they were counting, that would only be about 10% of the
> total package.  Normally, you would also have administrators
> (outsourcing?), consulting for configuration and support.

Nowadays, because computers are so cheap and billions of people can have a
computer or a phone, the cost of hardware and software is low (the more users,
the more RoI for the developers) compared to support expenses.

>> >http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Linux-products...
>
>> My suspicion is that it's already well ahead of that, but nobody is
>> really sure how to measure it.
>
> Again, it dependns on what you happen to be counting.  Gartner began
> including service contracts because Microsoft's revenue was 80%
> licenses and 20% support, while Linux revenue is typically 10%
> licenses and 90% support.

Heh. You beat me to it. I wrote that last bit about Gartner before reading your
messages in full (I usually type as I go along). Gartner must be ignored when
it comes to growth figures.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Tasks: 158 total,   1 running, 157 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie