Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 17 January 2008 04:16 :
\____

>> There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems get
>> replaces by open ones.
>
> I've seen anecdotal evidence that supports that, but haven't
> seen an actual formal stufy of the matter.  I would be very
> interested in reading that if you can point me to it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thad
Here is the most recent that I saw just 2 days ago:

Open season on OSes

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the "2007 Embedded Market Study," Embedded Systems Design
| magazine's survey of embedded designers, the use of commercial operating
| systems is trending downward, while the use of open-source OSes is on the
| rise. On one hand, this comes as no surprise. On the other, it's alarming.
| Let me explain.
|
| [...]
|
| In attempt to cover all bets, some of the commercial OS vendors, including
| Wind River, have a Linux offering. But the jury is still out on whether
| that's a working strategy.
|
| In my opinion, the vendors with the more well-known versions of Linux, à la
| MontaVista, will be most successful.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205602076

Also see:

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking ahead, 87% percent of Linux users plan to use Linux in their next
| project. In both cases, use of free distributions outnumbered use of paid
| distributions by a sizable margin.
`----

http://software.tekrati.com/research/9436/

I'll admit that I haven't actually read the studies which they cite, but this
appeared consistent wrt other outlets, so there's little room for other
interpretation.

Earlier today/last night:

Microsoft cans key conference

,----[ Quote ]
| SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has decided that it does not love its popular Mobile
| and Embedded DevCon any more and has pulled the plug.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/16/microsoft-cans-key-conference

Oh LORDY! Microsoft tried everything... even $3 Windows (in 2003) and _EVEN_
paid (as in SHILL) studies from a firm that utter lies about the embedded
market.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"
Mem:    515500k total,   444108k used,    71392k free,     6412k buffers