Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Might Get Deeper into Hardware Business with Logitech Takeover

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 16 January 2008 08:07 : \____

>> ____/ ws on Monday 14 January 2008 01:57 : \____

>>> Of course, we could have:
>>>
>>> 1. Keyboards that need a ctl-alt-del to reset, oh wait...!
>>>
>>> 2. Certain key combos that refuse to work...especially when plugged into
>>> linux systems.
>>>
>>> 3. invalid words  - Hey! Why can't I spell Emily Dic#inson?
>>>
>>> 4. Mouse wizards - "It seems that you are trying to click the left mouse
>>> button more than 10 times in a row, would you like to save this as a
>>> keyboard shortcut?" - in the middle of a fragging session, of course,
>>> and no continuing until you click yes/areyousure?/didyouaskyourmother???
>>>
>>> Just having fun,
>>> WS
>>
>> How long before they introduce some mutation of peripherals with the Windows
>> logo on one of the buttons?
>>
>> "Hey, Jim, I got this new mouse, but I can't make use of all those Microsoft
>> buttons."
>>
>> Jim: "Oh, don't hack around it. There are patents on it."
>>
>> All kneel at the sight of the 'precious' buttons reserved to our good
>> friends at Redmond...
>>

> They key question for me is whether Microsoft can adopt a
> non-monopolistic business model.  Hardware manufacture, such as the
> business Logitech have, is a very commoditised business.  Their failures
> to cope in a a commoditised software environment do not bode well for
> their possibilities in new markets.

Yes, but see the examples above. With patents and a software monopoly,
Microsoft has the power to control hardware makers and treat them like the
shepherd treats the sheep. Just look how chimakers suck up to Microsoft... any
day. Remember Vista (DRM) drivers... GPUs and the whole mess...?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
 09:00:04 up 36 days, 21:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.87, 0.82, 1.08