Re: Bruce Perens Slams Microsoft for Attempts to Hijack OLPC

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 22:20 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:18 : \____
>>
>>> Personally, I think that this is quite likely.  Amongst all the people I
>>> interwork with on a regular basis, from lawyers to economists, researchers
>>> to project managers, head teachers to ICT support technicians, plumbers
>>> to oil-traders, I don't know anyone that actually /doesn't dislike/
>>> Microsoft.
>>
>> Bengee Labs recently rejected Microsoft technology because of the company's
>> history of betrayal. It happens all the time. All we need to do is show (and
>> share) evidence of corruption.
>>

> I agree.  Most people seem to have an underlying grasp of the problems
> with Microsoft, but have allowed the marketing hype to persuade them
> that it was just a personal thing.  By revealing the truth as we
> perceive it, we are freeing a generation of people to have true
> confidence in their own experiences and feelings, and to express them as
> they see fit.

There's a good point here. There are many people who never used Linux and they
find comfort in the sight of FUD articles which attack Linux. They can then
say to themselves: "hey, I hate Windows, but there's nothing better out
there." That's just why Microsoft keeps the FUD coming. It wants to keep
people blind to choice. Ignorance and (dis)information is the strength of
Microsoft, but it's highly unethical to operate in this way. They happen to
lie about the installed base on Linux as well. They call it "market share",
conveniently enough, and then fool Dilberty folks like Ashley Highfield.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
 09:05:01 up 36 days, 21:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.58, 0.92