Re: Bruce Perens Slams Microsoft for Attempts to Hijack OLPC

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> There was another piece Roy posted today, where a professional
> journalist was speculating about whether the global rejection of
> HD-DVD in favour of Blue-Ray were not, at least perhaps in part, a
> global rejection of Microsoft.
>
> Personally, I think that this is quite likely.

Yes, I can believe that was part of the issue.

Another aspect is the enhanced "protection" offered by BD+, although I
note that has been cracked too (the keys can still be revoked though).

It's another Whack-A-Mole game, isn't it? But like I said in another
post, DRM is a dead loss, the content providers (or should that be
"protectors") simply cannot win.

> Amongst all the people I interwork with on a regular basis, from
> lawyers to economists, researchers to project managers, head teachers
> to ICT support technicians, plumbers to oil-traders, I don't know
> anyone that actually /doesn't dislike/ Microsoft.

There is a vocal minority of fanbois (COLA Trolls, Digg, and poison post
comments on Blogs), but it may be that those people are actually paid to
post (Shills). I find it very hard to believe that anyone would actually
evangelise for Microsoft without being paid to do so. Certainly like you
I don't know *anyone* personally who genuinely likes Microsoft products,
or even the company itself ... many people *endure* it (we fear change),
but few really *like* it.

> It really does look very much like game over.

Let's hope so.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 17:57:37 up 25 days, 15:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.02