Re: [News] Rumours: NVIDIA to Follow AMD's Open Source Footsteps!

> ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 12 January 2008 04:44 : \____

>>> Did you know that in a recent benchmark ATI on Linux was 20% faster
>>> (in terms of framerate) than on Windows?
>>
>> I was an Intel and nVidia advocate for years until I got this laptop
>> (AMD and ATi). Between the technical performance and the politics, I'll
>> *never* go back to Intel again, and I'll only consider nVidia *if* they
>> fully commit to Free Software. Even then, I'm so pleased with ATi
>> hardware and drivers right now, that I may not even bother.
>
> It seems like pressure from Michael Larabel and others who care abut Free
> software are having a true impact on NVIDIA people who watch Web forums and
> benchmarks (actually, I know this for a fact). If we keep the heat up, then
> it's all just a matter of time.

I don't think that nVidia will really have much choice in this.  The
argument that opening up the source-code will give away state secrets
is just "security by obscurity" in another guise.  It doesn't, never
has, and never will work, furthermore, it actively prevents community
involvement in the improvement of drivers and the introduction of new
capabilities.  Both nVidia and ATI are hardware vendors, so they should
both be working to get their drivers out and community supported in
order that they can focus on getting the best possible hardware onto the
market.

It's always been about when, rather than if.