Re: OLPC director calls Parens "entirely misinformed (was Re: [News] Bruce Perens Slams Microsoft for Attempts to Hijack OLPC)

> In article <1757249.kPj52FEsOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Why Microsoft Must Control One Laptop Per Child
>
> OLPC director of security architecture calls that FUD piece "entirely
> misinormed":
>
>    <http://radian.org/notebook/paradox-of-choice>

You guys might want to include links to all items at issue, just for
clarity.

   http://technocrat.net/d/2008/1/10/33518
   Why Microsoft Must Control One Laptop Per Child

Your link:

   What, then, is true?

   Yes, we've been meeting with Microsoft about their XP port. OLPC
   has not dedicated resources to this work. We are not contributing
   engineering time to it, considering it as part of our strategy, or
   getting ready to replace Sugar. The extent of our involvement is
   having several meetings with the Microsoft staff and allowing a
   Microsoft-paid technical writer to work from our offices in order to
   produce specifications that will aid the port \u2014 on the condition
   that the specifications are also released publicly (they\u2019re
   being posted to our wiki.)

   The meetings are important. Microsoft decided to do a port, and they
   would have done it with us or without us -- but they did
   something remarkable: they asked us to work with them so we
   don't wind up with walled gardens. They did not set out merely
   to make XP boot on the XO and declare victory; they actually want to
   partake in as much of our learning philosophy as they can. They
   won't make XP open source, but they're building mesh
   support, going to great lengths to support our security and theft
   deterrence model, and working on allowing Sugar and Windows XOs to
   collaborate and share seamlessly.

   The folks running this work on the Microsoft side are good people.
   They have left no doubt in my mind that they believe in what
   we\u2019re doing and want to play along. I am also confident we have
   made the right decision at OLPC by embracing their work instead of
   stonewalling it.

Let's hope the author is not being naive.

If the tables were turned, OLPC would not be invited to the table.

--
Q:	How do you stop an elephant from charging?
A:	Take away his credit cards.