Re: Bruce Perens Slams Microsoft for Attempts to Hijack OLPC

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>
>> Furthermore, there is a philosophy which is fundamental to
>> proprietary software stacks, which is quite different to open-source
>> ones.  That philosophy is taught inherently when teaching about
>> computing, whichever stack is used.
>>
>> Children learning on proprietary stacks will learn about ownership,
>> monopoly creation, usage payments, lock-in, exit barriers, data loss,
>> data lock-in, viruses, unfixed and unfixable bugs, unreliability,
>> remote de-activation, and so on.
>
> Precisely my point.
>
> Whether certain people like it or not, philosophy and politics are
> inextricable from IT, and every other aspect of life for that matter.
>
> I'm bemused by the fact that Microsoft zealots are so blinded by their
> *own* particular brand of political indoctrination, that they find it
> difficult to believe that there even *is* such a thing in IT, beyond the
> dissent of those who oppose it ... but since they feel that there is
> nothing to oppose, they scream "loony", before continuing to dish out
> yet more vitriol against those who oppose their "non-existent" politics.

The vitriolic nature of these people says much about the way their work
personalities have developed over the years, which in turns speaks
volumes about the nature of the training and support they receive for
doing what they do.

They really have to do their best to stop anyone thinking that there
could be viable political alternatives to total monopolisation.

> Take the position of those who argue that there is nothing wrong with
> Wintel "competing" (a.k.a. lobbying, dumping and sabotaging) with the
> OLPC, for example. Do these Trolls really believe there is nothing wrong
> with that ... at all? I suppose that for those who are evil enough, the
> only "wrong" is anything that opposes their evil.

Personally, I don't understand how those people can sleep at night.