Re: [News] Infecting the MBR is now back in fashion

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:43:19 +0000
<8kdp55-vu3.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

> Remember the good ol' days of Amiga boot sector viruses, Ghost?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamer_Exterminator_(computer_virus)
>
> Some things never change, it seems, on closed source systems at least.

I think my Amiga (A1000 at the time; I've since traded
it in for a 2000, but I'm a little sorry I did now)
got infected exactly once, at a trade show way way back.
Since it had no hard drive it wasn't that much of a worry
-- and my coax network side's not working all that well
anyway.  If I were in the mood (and had funds) I would
want new NICs for my Amiga side to plug into my switch.

Nowadays, a bootsector virus could get interesting, as it
can use the Internet to propagate.  At least with Linux it
would have to compromise root to rewrite the boot sector,
on a properly secured system.

But ah, those were the days, when men were real men, women
were real women, and the Amiga was a real computer. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }