[News] Consultancy Explains Why Proprietary Software is Risky

  • Subject: [News] Consultancy Explains Why Proprietary Software is Risky
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:21:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Risk Factors You Ought To See for Proprietary Software

,----[ Quote ]
| If we’re going to get that paranoid, companies might as well start including
| risk factors for the proprietary software they use. Companies could include
| risks like:
|
|     * Proprietary software we use could be really buggy and break down,
|     making it impossible for anyone in the company to get any work done.
|     * Proprietary software companies that supply our software may be bought
|     by Oracle and then “integrated” or “end of lifed”, forcing us to spend a
|     boatload of money and time on upgrades.
|     * We could get sued for violating proprietary software licenses because
|     we haven’t paid attention to them since we bought the stuff.
|     * We almost certainly are using proprietary software on a heck of a lot
|     more machines than we paid for, and if the vendor finds out we could owe
|     a big fat bill.
|     * Our proprietary software suppliers could decide to raise our
|     maintenance by 3x and then we’re really screwed because we don’t have any
|     alternatives.
`----

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2008/01/risk-factors-you-ought-to-see-for-proprietary-software/

Quote for the day:

"If it [the timing of the donation] had anything to do with the antitrust case,
we would have told someone."

                        --Ms. Stonifer, director William H. Gates Foundation

Related:

How to turn into Free Software supporters people who couldn't care less

`----

http://digifreedom.net/node/103