[News] [Rights] BBC Director General lies about iPlayer to Government

  • Subject: [News] [Rights] BBC Director General lies about iPlayer to Government
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 01:57:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The BBC Director General, Mark Thomson, is interrogated by the House of
Commons Public Accounts Committee, over why the BBC wasted 20 million
UKP on the iPlayer.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6W1XIwSB27A (8 minutes)

Partial transcript:

Dr. Pugh : So at what stage will we be able to fully *download* and
           stream to a Mac or a Linux computer?
 Thomson : You can do that now
Dr. Pugh : Both of them?
 Thomson : Yeah

*LIE!*

http://iplayersupport.external.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/bbciplayer.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=30

See also (Roy posted earlier):

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/01/10/bbc-director-general-grilled-by-mps-on-iplayer/

Pugh asks some more tough questions, like:

Q: How much did it cost to develop the iPlayer