[News] Good Review of the Latest Vector Linux, Introduction to PCLinuxOS 2008 ‘MiniMe’

  • Subject: [News] Good Review of the Latest Vector Linux, Introduction to PCLinuxOS 2008 ‘MiniMe’
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:36:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Distro Review: Vector Linux 5.9

,----[ Quote ]
| Another fresh distro for me this time in the shape of the Canadian offering
| Vector Linux. It's another lightweight Slackware based distro and often gets
| compared to Zenwalk and Wolvix. With Zenwalk fresh in my mind and Wolvix
| fresh on my hit list I spent a few days with Vector. Here's how I got on...
|
| [...]
|
| Vector Linux was a very similar experience for me to Zenwalk I would say,
| which isn't surprising. They're both based on Slackware and so they're very
| comparable. I did find Vector a bit easier to set up than Zenwalk, I liked
| the fact that it detected my Nvidia card and installed the drivers for me. I
| had to do that manually on Zenwalk. I also much prefer Slapt-Get as a package
| manager to NetPkg but you could install any package manager you like on
| either system if you wanted. Both distros are a hell of a lot easier to setup
| than Slackware that has to be said but that's not saying a lot.
`----

http://adventuresinopensource.blogspot.com/2008/01/distro-review-vector-linux-59.html

PCLinuxOS 2008 ‘MiniMe’

,----[ Quote ]
| The tendency of Linux distributions to get bigger and pack more and more into
| their liveCD/DVDs (e.g., Sabayon, MIB Games Mandriva remaster) while
| convenient can slow your system down considerably; it’s nice to see that some
| see the need for a more bare bones effort that allows you to pick and choose
| for your particular needs.
| Well worth the download and test drive; see if you can resist making your
| system a dual boot with this very zippy and configurable effort from TexStar
| and company and all the fine developers at PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://fareast.linuxdiary.com/2008/01/12/pclinuxos-2008-minime/

Related:

VL64-5.9-beta1 Is released

,----[ Quote ]
| The VectorLinux team is pleased to announce the first public beta release of
| VL64-5.9-beta1.
`----

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5255.0

VectorLinux 5.9 - Will It Be Pandemic?

,----[ Quote ]
| With seven stable releases  of VectorLinux Standard Gold edition  under their
| belts, the developers  of VectorLinux  have released the  much-awaited
| VectorLinux 5.9 Standard Gold edition on the 21st of December 2007 to the joy
| of many Vectorians.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall, VectorLinux 5.9 Standard Gold is a very functional release. It looks
| a lot better than the previous version. I did not encounter any major
| glitches during the testing. It was a delightful experience seeing the faster
| boot time of VectorLinux 5.9, as compared to  VectorLinux 5.8. The softwares
| seem snappier and more stable than the ones in version 5.8 too!
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/224/1/

VectorLinux-5.9 standard final GOLD is under the tree!

,----[ Quote ]
| The VectorLinux development team is proud to announce the release of
| VectorLinux 5.9 final GOLD edition.
`----

http://vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=40

Vector Linux 5.9-Pseudo64-0.1 -- Finally, 64-bit Vector

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s a 64-bit version. There has never been a 64-bit version of Vector
| Linux before. To me this is one more essential step towards Vector Linux
| being taken seriously as a major distribution.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/09/vector_linux_59pseudo6401_fina.html

VectorLinux - The Pefect Installation and Setup

,----[ Quote ]
| The  VectorLinux Website is promising: “Speed, performance, stability --
| these are attributes that set VectorLinux apart in the crowded field of Linux
| distributions. VectorLinux is a lighterweight, fast, Linux operating system
| for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems and is based upon Slackware, one of the
| original Linux distributions…”
| Linux-Tip was testing the installation and usage of version 5.8 (Standard
| Gold).
`----

http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/content/view/315/26/

Review: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I'd rate Vector Linux as a very high quality distribution that easily
| gains a spot on my short list of highly recommended distributions for new and
| experienced users.  I give the developers huge props for creating a
| distribution that takes one of the most powerful and complex distributions in
| the world (Slackware) and turns it into a new users dream desktop.  This is
| even a distro I would feel comfortable giving to my own mom, and that's
| saying a lot.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=278

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Those looking for a fast and powerful Slackware-based distribution, be sure
| to check out this latest 5.8 SOHO installment of Vector Linux.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/07/27/vector-linux-58-soho-a-review/

VectorLinux 5.8 live CD GOLD final and SOHO-5.8 live alpha1

,----[ Quote ]
| The VectorLinux team is proud to announce the release of VectorLinux
| 5.8 GOLD LIVE CD and the first SOHO-5.8 alpha live CD and DVD.
`----

http://www.vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=7&PHPSESSID=d76db43919cbee386994227fd824bef6
http://tinyurl.com/37or32

VectorLinux SOHO: A better Slackware than Slackware

,----[ Quote ]
| I've always admired VectorLinux for offering what I consider a
| better Slackware than Slackware. It's beautiful and functional,
| and would work well for me in my home office. On the desktop it
| is an excellent distribution with no real problems.
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/05/16/1816255.shtml?tid=127

VL-5.8 standard final is under the tree. Merry Christmas!!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vector developement team is proud to announce the release of Vector
| Linux  5.8 Standard final, code named "Santa" (Merry Christmas!). This
| is the fruit that has resulted from several months of coding, debugging
| and testing by the core developement team and the Vector community.
`----

http://www.vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=40

Review: VectorLinux 5.8

,----[ Quote ]
| I found VectorLinux to be an attractive OS for those who just want
| to browse the Web, watch DVDs and other video formats, and perform
| basic word processing.
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/21/166220&from=rss

New Release of a Cool Canadian Distro: Vector Linux 5.8

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
|
| Once you have Vector Linux installed, configured, and customized
| to your needs it?s an absolute pleasure to run. It?s fast and sleek
| and well thought out. Some features, such as those for managing
| WiFi connections and removable hardware, are absolutely second
| to none...
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/01/new_releasecool_canadian_distr.html

First look at VectorLinux 5.8 SOHO

,----[ Quote ]
| VectorLinux is a distro that I tested only a couple of times before,
| but I was very impressed with the system. Then, as now, it was a
| pretty, complete, and stable alternative to heavier or more
| complicated offerings. It dresses up Slackware and adds needed
| functionality, yet remains true to the Slackware tradition.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070226#review

Vector Linux - Chaucer's Beautiful Hag

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Vector Linux on an ancient HP vectra, a PII-450MHz box with
| 192MB RAM.

Vector Linux Environmental Stewards

,----[ Quote ]
| I would like to extend my thanks and complements to everyone involved in
| making Vector Linux adaptable, flexible and user friendly. My Lions Club
| sponsors a Computers for Kids program where we refurbish surplus computers,
| load Vector as the OS
|
| [...]
|
| I don't claim to be a Linux expert or evangelist. We are just trying
| to give underprivileged kids in our community access to world class
| technology and a level playing field.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9647.html

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME Preview !

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS is an English only Live CD initially based on Mandrake Linux that
| runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is decompressed on the fly,
| allowing up to 2GB of programs on one CD, including a complete X server, KDE
| desktop, OpenOffice.org and many more applications all ready to use. In
| addition to the Live CD, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive
| with an easy-to-use Live CD Installer. Additional applications can be added
| or removed from your hard drive using a friendly apt-get front end via
| Synaptic Package Manager.
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/pclinuxos-2008-minime-preview/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME