[News] Introduction to Ultra-low Cost GNU/Linux PCs

  • Subject: [News] Introduction to Ultra-low Cost GNU/Linux PCs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:40:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tweaking Everex's $199 TC2502 Green PC and gOS

| The fact that this is a low power consumption machine, combined with the $200
| price tag, makes it an extremely attractive machine. It's definitely
| well-suited to most web-based applications and most SOHO needs. As an
| all-in-one system, it's very good.
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080112084017526#c664622

Here is an even cheaper PC:

Ugliest Ubuntu Box of all time! (Pictures)

http://wikigiz.com/2008/01/12/ugliest-ubuntu-box-of-all-time

Related:

The Alternative PC for the Masses

,----[ Quote ]
| Everex, a longtime personal computer vendor, has unveiled its latest PC
| featuring Ubuntu Linux-based open-source productivity software and
| Google-based Web 2.0 applications, for a mere $191.99
`----

http://techgeeknews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=648&Itemid=63

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

,----[ Quote ]
| So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
| after the high end market.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

'Cloudbook' UMPC to Run Googleish Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Everex has confirmed plans to ship a UMPC (ultra-mobile PC) with a 7-inch
| screen, similar to competitor Asus' EEE PC. A source close to the company
| revealed that the device—codenamed "Cloudbook"—will ship with the Google
| Apps-oriented "gOS" Linux distribution early next year.

This time for sure on mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wal-Mart Linux PC, priced at $198, is sold out. Zonbu seems to be gaining
| traction, with a notebook priced at $279.
|
| “You’re seeing incredibly improved device drivers. We’ve got hundreds now.
| This is a phenomenal effort that plays to the strength of Linux, a volunteer
| community representing millions of dollars in free development.
|
| “You’re seeing more manufacturers shipping Linux desktops, PCs and laptops
| but also mobile Internet devices from Acer, Motorola’s Razr, TiVo…there’s a
| slew of new devices coming out.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1773

A sleek introduction of $299 laptops