Re: [News] Rumours: NVIDIA to Follow AMD's Open Source Footsteps!

* Moshe Goldfarb fired off this tart reply:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:39:57 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
>>
>> Another issue is that features, *real* features (as opposed to the media
>> driven "disablement" on Vista) are coming thick and fast on the Linux
>> desktop (Compiz et al) and nVidia really needs to jump on that bandwagon
>> or be left behind. They finally managed to fix their direct rendering
>> issues in their proprietary driver, but good God it was a long time
>> coming. Maybe they really don't want those kind of delays in the future,
>> especially with ATi having the open source "edge".
>>
>> There's a real momentum among hardware manufacturers to adopt FOSS. No
>> doubt nVidia looked around at the likes of Asus and ATi, and decided
>> they better get a slice.
>
> This has to be the most idiotic post I have read in any group, and in a
> long time.

How so?

> I suggest spending a little time in some of the gamer groups, or over at
> Tom's Hardware so you can educate yourself because you obviously have let
> your love of Linux cloud whatever is left of your judgement.

Like this one?

   http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/03/best_graphics_card/

   November brought us the new Radeon 3850 and 3870 cards in force, and
   showed us that ATI still has a few tricks up its sleeve.

   First off, yes, the Geforce 8800 GT is faster than the Radeon 3870.
   However, it's not that much faster, and the Radeon 3870 has a lower
   MSRP of $220. At this price, the 3870 offers an almost identical
   performance-per-dollar ratio as the Geforce 8800 GT.

   Unfortunately, demand seems to have driven up the price of the Radeon
   3870 very close to that of the 8800 GT. At $270, the 3870 is
   difficult to recommend compared to the similarly-priced 8800 GT. When
   supply is more abundant, hopefully we'll see 3870 prices drop back to
   the intended $220 level.

   . . .

   Fortunately, the cheaper Radeon 3850 seems to be widely available at
   its original $180 MSRP. This is fantastic, as the Radeon 3850 offers
   similar performance to the Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb for a very low
   price. Since the new DirectX 10 cards were introduced, we've been
   waiting for a sub-$200 card that can run in the same league as the
   high end cards, and now we finally have it. The Radeon 3850 offers
   power no other sub-$200 card can touch.

--
The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.