Re: [News] Rumours: NVIDIA to Follow AMD's Open Source Footsteps!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:39:57 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

> Trade secrets.
>
> That extra frame per second must be protected from the competition.
>
> The problem, as nVidia have no doubt discovered, is that Joe User
> apparently doesn't give a damn about extracting an extra frame per
> second at a cost of an additional 200 bucks. What Joe User *really*
> cares about, is that the freakin' driver actually works, and works
> with his OS, which increasingly is Linux.
>
> In a fast moving target like Linux, users really can't wait for dog
> -slow behemoths like nVidia to keep up. It takes a community working
> on the source to do that. The farce of broken drivers that plagued
> nVidia last year, should have taught them that they genuinely need
> the help of the community, and not just in "testing", but in actual
> development.
>
> Another issue is that features, *real* features (as opposed to the media
> driven "disablement" on Vista) are coming thick and fast on the Linux
> desktop (Compiz et al) and nVidia really needs to jump on that bandwagon
> or be left behind. They finally managed to fix their direct rendering
> issues in their proprietary driver, but good God it was a long time
> coming. Maybe they really don't want those kind of delays in the future,
> especially with ATi having the open source "edge".
>
> There's a real momentum among hardware manufacturers to adopt FOSS. No
> doubt nVidia looked around at the likes of Asus and ATi, and decided
> they better get a slice.

This has to be the most idiotic post I have read in any group, and in a
long time.
I suggest spending a little time in some of the gamer groups, or over at
Tom's Hardware so you can educate yourself because you obviously have let
your love of Linux cloud whatever is left of your judgement.