Re: [News] Rumours: NVIDIA to Follow AMD's Open Source Footsteps!

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 12 January 2008 04:39 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:51:04 +0000
>>  <12376695.ErFEzvQvGZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>> NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?
> [...]
>>> Woohoo! (if true)
>>
>> More like:  "What took you guys so FREAKING DAMN LONG!? :-P" ;-)
>
> Trade secrets.
>
> That extra frame per second must be protected from the competition.
>
> The problem, as nVidia have no doubt discovered, is that Joe User
> apparently doesn't give a damn about extracting an extra frame per
> second at a cost of an additional 200 bucks. What Joe User *really*
> cares about, is that the freakin' driver actually works, and works
> with his OS, which increasingly is Linux.

+1.

> In a fast moving target like Linux, users really can't wait for dog
> -slow behemoths like nVidia to keep up. It takes a community working
> on the source to do that. The farce of broken drivers that plagued
> nVidia last year, should have taught them that they genuinely need
> the help of the community, and not just in "testing", but in actual
> development.

Many 'techies' are those who tend to be loudest about hardware and a large
proportion of them also run GNU/Linux (dual-boot or Linux-only). NVIDIA is
likely to get approval from the vocal minority, which will then translate into
good referrals and positive advice. Just watch how Adobe has been sucking up
to Linux and 'open source' recently (because of the Silevrlight 'threat').
Flash can suddenly be perceived as the 'saviour' from Microsoft's Web
oppression. Better a standards-based Web than Flash blobs, but Flash blobs are
better than ActiveX 2.0 (and a .NET Net).

> Another issue is that features, *real* features (as opposed to the media
> driven "disablement" on Vista) are coming thick and fast on the Linux
> desktop (Compiz et al) and nVidia really needs to jump on that bandwagon
> or be left behind. They finally managed to fix their direct rendering
> issues in their proprietary driver, but good God it was a long time
> coming. Maybe they really don't want those kind of delays in the future,
> especially with ATi having the open source "edge".

Ubuntu's founder has been pressuring them indeed (I'm not sure if you knew
this) because he wants Eye Candy enabled by default and working consistently.
Dell has been pressuing ATI also.

> There's a real momentum among hardware manufacturers to adopt FOSS. No
> doubt nVidia looked around at the likes of Asus and ATi, and decided
> they better get a slice.

They really ought to hurry up. People will recommend ATI/AMD as long as Intel
is exposed for the criminal that is has been for over a decade. ATI is now
seen as Linux-friendly in blogs that I see. The FSF sort of recommends AMD as
well, mainly because of the BIOS.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
Mem:    515500k total,   446104k used,    69396k free,     2832k buffers