Re: AT&T and Other I.S.P.'s May Be Getting Ready to Filter

____/ Darth Chaos on Saturday 12 January 2008 04:16 : \____

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/att-and-other-isps-may-be-getting-ready-to-filter/index.html

The subject line says "getting ready", but do bear in mind that AT&T has
ALREADY INTERCEPTED lyrics from Pearl Jam which 'dared' to criticise George
Warmonger Bush. It was not an isolated incident [1]. I always find it amusing
when the 'moral and ethical' Establishment criticises the Chinese for
suppression, but in due time becomes its own very same reflection. It's like
children who say they'll never be like their parents, but inevitably, as they
grow up, that just happens to become a reality.

As I've stressed before, 'unapproved' (by the government) bloggers will face a
tough time either because of filtering (e.g. WebSense, 'unhealthy content',
other bulls***) or through taxation (tiered Web vs Net nuetrality). Remember
what they did to Internet radio because it hurt the profits of those who run
the government?

The censors /ARE/ out to get you. There's lots of money at play and the
Internet changes the already-rocky /status quo/. Don't let people put labels
on you because you simply tell the truth. Of course, there's a parallel debate
to the Web one -- free software. Why else do you think people are attacking
Richard Stallman by E-mail so relentlessly?

The world is an ugly and unethical place. Live with it, or fight to correct it.

___
[1] AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site.
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759184-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

[2] Royalty fee 'to damage net radio'

,----[ Quote ]
| Hundreds of US net radio stations face potential closure from Monday when
| they will be expected to comply with a new royalties ruling for playing
| music.
|
| Smaller stations face a payment increase of 1,200% while larger station could
| owe up to 300% more, lobby group SaveNetRadio has said.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
 09:05:04 up 32 days, 21:53,  4 users,  load average: 2.97, 1.34, 1.43