[News] On 2008 IPOs and Free Software Companies

  • Subject: [News] On 2008 IPOs and Free Software Companies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:48:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Here come the hot IPOs of '08

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source, more a technology movement than a technology innovation, is
| another category being welcomed by the Street, as is virtualization, the
| ability to have one computer essentially act like several.

Will Software Businesses Really Move Toward the Middle in '08?

,----[ Quote ]
| The real challenge continues to be, how can we succeed without closing our
| source? Only a few companies have managed to do this, with almost all of them
| being small fries that most people never heard of. But it is possible to do
| business this way. I would suggest that, eventually, we will see more and
| more companies discover how to develop software without restricting users'
| freedom to use, study, modify, and redistribute the programs. Meanwhile, for
| 2008, You can bet we'll see a lot more businesses learning to respect users'
| freedom.

MySQL will probably reach Wall Street soon. Trolltech, Red Hat and many others
are already out there in the big markets.

Virgin Mobile Implements MySQL Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Virgin Mobile, a leading Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO), has
| implemented a MySQL Enterprise Platinum subscription to manage its data using
| the world's most popular open source database.

MySQL Releases Database Connector Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Zack Urlocker, executive vice president of products at MySQL, said the new
| Unicode support makes it possible to deal with virtually every language on
| the planet—even made-up ones such as Klingon, the language of the alien
| Klingon species on "Star Trek."

Open source here to stay, says MySQL CEO Marten Mickos

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft can use [its] money in other ways to threaten free and open-source
| software, and I'm sure that they have," Mickos said. "But I think we will see
| less of that in the future because they've done it and it hasn't helped
| them." Many Microsoft customers use open-source products and find it
| challenging when the company makes it harder to integrate Microsoft products
| and open-source software, he said.
| "I'm not too worried," Mickos said. "This open source movement is so strong
| that nothing can stop it anymore."

MySQL Set For IPO?

,----[ Quote ]