Re: [News] ASUS to Make $500 GNU/Linux Desktop (Most Likely)

Jim Relsh <jrelish@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> ASUS preps $500 'iMac killer' Eee PC desktop
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The computer builder also says it will build a headless desktop, the
>> E-DT,
>> | which will at first use a Celeron but then switch to the Shelton
>> platform.
>> | Most details are unavailable, though the price should range between $200
>> and
>> | $300 and is being pushed towards the $200 mark. A third system known as
>> the
>> | E-TV will combine a basic Eee PC platform with a 42-inch LCD TV and
>> should
>> | cost about $200 more than a comparable TV that ships without such
>> features.
>> `----
>>

> Whoaaa, this is what I've been dreaming about: a TV with built-in Wifi and
> Linux as an operating system and wireless keyboard/touchpad so people can
> Internet on their TV!! Great to see that it's actually being built!

It had to happen!  I suspect that Asus are going to be an industry giant
before too long, not that they're small now, of course.

I agree with you, though, this merging of technologies was pretty much
inevitable.  The big issue we have now is that the corporate world is
geared up entirely around these information sources being separate, but
when they all appear on the same terminating device, they're far from
separate.