Re: [News] [Rival] Another Journalist Bribed by Microsoft for Good Publicity

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 31 January 2008 07:52 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 30 January 2008 13:25 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> "Reach out" meaning, err, shut up?  I suspect a lot of Philipino
>>> journalists would be deeply disturbed if the Philipines vote were to
>>> change from the right and proper "no" to a "yes, we think an
>>> unimplementable standard should be approved by ISO so that Microsoft can
>>> con government purchasers into thinking they're getting something which
>>> is interoperable".
>>
>> I'm still finding more of that stuff at the moment. Microsoft has amassed a
>> small army of "zombie journalists" (one of them told me he found this phrase
>> offensive because I'm sort of at war against that astroturfing now).
>> Microsoft is showing its true colours. Media control!
>>

> We need to be at war with that kind of Astroturfing - it always has been
> wrong, and for professional journalists to do it is reprehensible.  They
> should know better.

He is aware of this issue and this information was passed on to various other
forums.

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/01/29/journalists-digest-odf-fud/
http://boycottnovell.com/2008/01/30/quick-mention-brett-winterford-at-it-again-microsoft-mouthpiece/

> Incidentally, there was a piece in this week's Private Eye about the
> "death of British journalism", indicating that they only ever carry
> stories about breasts, sex, footballers, television programmes about
> sex, breasts, footballers, and "pop stars" etc.
>
> You only have to look at the Madeleine McCann incident to see how easy
> it is now to manipulate the press - the papers just print what they've
> been told to by the McCann's "publicist".

Well, here it's not about football and boobs. It's about people's businesses,
which mustn't be locked in to a single bad and expensive application that only
works properly on one convicted monopolist's platform.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
Cpu(s): 25.4%us,  4.1%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.9%id,  3.2%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st