[News] OLPC Kept Strong with Volunteers, Donor

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Kept Strong with Volunteers, Donor
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:20:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OLPC, by Jim Gettys

| Some notes from Jim’s OLPC talk, which was full. I’ve added thoughts about
| (rural) Malaysia, because its naturally close to my heart. I’ve not had a
| similar opportunity to go around rural Australia (does it even exist?), and
| things are (I think) a lot better in Australia, than they are in Malaysia…
| I’m sure Jim’s talk video will be up soon, and his slides are worth going
| through - some interesting pictures there too.
|
| [...]
|
| I’m actually highly moved by the OLPC. My recent travels to Vietnam,
| Cambodia, Thailand, India, China, and of course Malaysia, has made me think
| hard about what we need to do for spreading education and FLOSS. I’m sure
| I’ll talk about this more, later…
`----

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/01/29/olpc-by-jim-gettys

Fires ravage local One Laptop project

| Update: A kind, but anonymous, donor has given the OLPC team a brand,
| spanking new, machine.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2098

"When you taunt the referee, he usually
watches you even more closely. That’s what happened to Microsoft, whose
“up yours!” attitude toward the Department of Justice has inspired
investigators to dig even deeper. Now they’re looking at Microsoft’s
efforts to take over Java. These relentless investigations sap
Microsoft, and distract the DOJ from worse dangers such as Intel. And
Microsoft’s childish, insulting behavior is largely to blame."

                                        --Jesse Berst

Related:

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Intel-powered XO is too expensive and consumes too much power

,----[ Quote ]
| 2 days before Intel CEO Paul Otellini would unveil the Classmate 2 or the
| Intel-powered XO at the CES, Intel announced that they are quitting the OLPC
| board.
|
| Intel claims that they are quitting because of Nicholas Negroponte wanting
| them to stop the promotion of the Classmate/Eee to education in third world
| countries, but I think that the real reason is that Intel does not have a
| good enough processor for the OLPC project to use as an alternative to the
| AMD Geode LX-700. Intel has not been able to develop a processor to match the
| price, power consumption and performance requirements of the OLPC project.
| Paul Otellini could have looked like a fool at the CES if he had to unveil an
| Intel powered XO that was performing worse in terms of price and power
| consumption compared to the AMD powered one.
`----

http://charbax.com/2008/01/04/intel-diamondville-and-menlow-processors-not-low-costpower-enough/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]