[News] Fluxbuntu and MiniMe (PCLOS) Compared; Preview of Solaris Linux Copycat (SXCE)

  • Subject: [News] Fluxbuntu and MiniMe (PCLOS) Compared; Preview of Solaris Linux Copycat (SXCE)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:18:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Distrowar: Fluxbuntu vs. MiniMe

,----[ Quote ]
| Fluxbuntu and MiniMe are ultra-lightweight versions of two equally popular
| Linux distributions namely Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. Fluxbuntu kept it light by
| utilizing a Fluxbox window manager as well as other unhefty pre-installed
| applications. Meanwhile, MiniMe uses a KDE desktop but with minimum
| out-of-the-box software packages.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/01/distrowar-fluxbuntu-vs-minime.html

More assimilation to Linux... (best sign of Linux success)

Solaris Express Community Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been a while since we last checked out a Solaris Express Community
| Edition (SXCE) build, which represents the most recent work done by the
| OpenSolaris community in the road leading up to Solaris Nevada, and is
| usually updated on a bi-weekly basis. With yesterday's release of SXCE Build
| 81 we had decided to take it for a spin. For those that have never tried out
| Solaris Express Community Edition, it ships with the GNOME desktop (v2.20.2
| right now) and a variety of open-source desktop applications that one is
| accustom to seeing on a Linux box, such as Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, and
| Pidgin.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=982&num=1

Related:

Come Fly with Fluxbuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Fluxbuntu is a must try Linux distribution which I feel has a very bright
| future ahead. I think new to Linux users will be able to handle it well with
| minor trouble. But, it might take some time for them to get used to its
| Fluxbox desktop. Meanwhile, advanced users will love it for its speed and
| versatility.
|
| All in all, Fluxbuntu is very much like Ubuntu. Those who want to try Ubuntu
| but can’t because of hardware limitations will definitely be fulfilled with
| Fluxbuntu. Those who have higher-end machines but are into speed and
| performance might want to consider using Fluxbuntu, as it is definitely
| lightweight and can make anyone’s powerful computer fly.
|
| I totally agree on what is advertised about Fluxbuntu: Lightweight.
| Productive. Agile. Efficient. Ubuntu.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/01/come-fly-with-fluxbuntu.html

Review: TinyFlux 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| TinyFlux has earned my respect, and while I can't suggest it to new users, I
| can suggest it to the more seasoned user out there without hesitation.  It
| should also be good to use on all those computers that have low hardware
| specs, or anything that is older and has seen greener pastures.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=363

Fluxbuntu 7.10 RC review

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s Linux. It’s lightweight. You have access to Ubuntu repositories. Good
| choice of default applications. –> it’s a very good choice for old computers.
| I’m going to install it on my parent’s computer (P2 @ 400 MHz, 128 MB RAM).
| As they use it for internet browsing, Fluxbuntu seems almost the perfect
| choice.
|
| Also, some of the programs included with Fluxbuntu may be better, in some
| cases, than “classic” applications that do the same thing (Claws Mail vs
| Thunderbird or Evolution, AbiWord vs OpenOffice.org), on any distribution,.
`----

http://distroblog.com/fluxbuntu-710-rc-review/

Fluxbuntu 7.10 RC on 450Mhz K6-2, 256Mb

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, this is something that has been needed for a long time — a cool and
| clean Ubuntu derivative that’s at once lightweight and comprehensive. If
| you’re a past Ubuntu user and you have a 500Mhz machine in the closet, this
| is what you’d want on it. I would recommend this over Xubuntu for anyone in
| the sub-1Ghz range, any day of the week.
|
| Try it. You’ll like it.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/10/28/fluxbuntu-710-rc-on-450mhz-k6-2-256mb/

A weekend with fluxbox.

,----[ Quote ]
| My biggest problem with using fluxbox is not fluxbox itself. I wanted it to
| be able to save some resources for my aging computer but I still needed to
| use KDE programs. So I checked my resource usage with pure KDE and then with
| fluxbox and KDE programs. There was no difference in resource usage.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/a-weekend-with-fluxbox-18594

Fluxbox on Gutsy, just to be different

,----[ Quote ]
| Just for giggles, I installed Fluxbox on Gutsy today ... which isn't
| really very daring, since the repositories have only been open for
| a day or two, and there?s very little in there that has changed.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/04/26/fluxbox-on-gutsy-just-to-be-different/

Fluxbuntu - Light weight Ubuntu-based Linux distribution featuring Fluxbox
window manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Fluxbuntu is a light-weight, standards-compliant, Ubuntu-based Linux
| distribution featuring the Fluxbox window manager.The project's primary
| goal is to develop an operating system that would run on a wide range
| of mobile devices and computers, both low-end and high-end.Recently
| since they started development on the PowerPC Architecture they also
| started development on support for the sony Playstation 3.
| Fluxbuntu now Officially supports most of the major architectures
| plaforms: i386, PowerPC, AMD 64bit & Intel 64bit and Itanium 64bit.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/fluxbuntu-light-weight-ubuntu-based-linux-distribution-featuring-fluxbox-window-manager.html

Tweak PCLinuxOS 2008 Minime into Full blown distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| I think Minime is a boon for people like me, who do not want the overhead of
| software like CUPS, bluetooth etc, but still want the user friendly interface
| of PCLOS.
| PCLOS Control Center is a one stop shop for all system configurations, it
| mimics Mandrake Control Center and is as intuitive as the famous YAST from
| OpenSUSE. This is where we can make system wide changes, such as enabling or
| disabling system services, add or remove users to the system, configure the
| firewall, configure hardware, etc.
| PCLOS promises to be radically simple and Minime gives a glimpse of that,
| surely we can expect a great distro in form of PCLinuxOS 2008.
| What I miss in Minime is KDE4 packages, which I hope to find when PCLOS 2008
| is released.
`----

http://www.lazytechguy.com/2008/01/tweak-pclinuxos-2008-minime-into-full.html

MiniMe, a Bite of PCLinuxOS 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| MiniMe as the name implies, is a stripped-down version of PCLinuxOS. It
| serves as a foretaste of what has yet to come since the development of
| PCLinuxOS 2008 is still underway. Nevertheless, MiniMe is pretty much
| functional and can be installed and used as a complete desktop operating
| system.
|
| [...]
|

| MiniMe is definitely worth a try. The installation is outstanding, its
| performance is great, and its ease-of-use is unbelievable. No wonder the
| popularity of PCLOS keeps on strengthening and its users and community
| members are steadily growing.
|
| MiniMe is just an appetizer, but I’m already half-full. I can’t wait for the
| complete version of PCLinuxOS 2008 to come out.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/01/minime-bite-of-pclinuxos-2008.html

PCLinuxOS 2008 ‘MiniMe’

,----[ Quote ]
| The tendency of Linux distributions to get bigger and pack more and more into
| their liveCD/DVDs (e.g., Sabayon, MIB Games Mandriva remaster) while
| convenient can slow your system down considerably; it’s nice to see that some
| see the need for a more bare bones effort that allows you to pick and choose
| for your particular needs.
| Well worth the download and test drive; see if you can resist making your
| system a dual boot with this very zippy and configurable effort from TexStar
| and company and all the fine developers at PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://fareast.linuxdiary.com/2008/01/12/pclinuxos-2008-minime/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME Preview !

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS is an English only Live CD initially based on Mandrake Linux that
| runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is decompressed on the fly,
| allowing up to 2GB of programs on one CD, including a complete X server, KDE
| desktop, OpenOffice.org and many more applications all ready to use. In
| addition to the Live CD, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive
| with an easy-to-use Live CD Installer. Additional applications can be added
| or removed from your hard drive using a friendly apt-get front end via
| Synaptic Package Manager.
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/pclinuxos-2008-minime-preview/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME