[News] Windows Vista Left Behind GNU/Linux Because of Greed

  • Subject: [News] Windows Vista Left Behind GNU/Linux Because of Greed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:15:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Progress drives Linux, greed drives Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Furthermore, Microsoft explains that “commercial software developers limit
| access to source code in order to protect their intellectual property
| investment.”
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2008/01/29/progress-drives-linux-greed-drives-windows-vista/

Mother-in-law on Linux? Yep.

,----[ Quote ]
| However, it's not just family members that benefit, it saves the "son-in-law
| tech support company" a ton time and headaches.
`----

http://www.croncast.com/rss/1330/Mother-in-law-on-Linux-Yep_Ubuntu_Xubuntu.php

Related:

Aussie coders not in open source for the money

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite frequent speculation that corporate financing is dangerous to the
| ethos of the open source software (OSS) community, most Australian open
| source developers don't see payment as a primary influence on their
| contributions, a straw poll of attendees at Linux.conf.au in Melbourne
| suggests.
|
| [..]
|
| While much research by psychologists suggests that people who are offered a
| reward to do something won't readily do it voluntarily, Peters suggested this
| had to be placed in context. "It depends on whether payment is normal. It's
| very normal to get paid to do software development. It doesn't change your
| internal way of thinking."
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Aussie-coders-not-in-open-source-for-the-money/0,130061733,339285537,00.htm

Thank [Deity of Your Choice] For Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| My family are in the last category. At my house, the desktop PC runs Kubuntu.
| My 57-year-old mother-in-law surfs on it. My 4-year-old daughter draws with
| TuxPaint and Potato Guy on it. Neither have received Linux-specific training.
| Neither are even really aware or concerned about what OS they are using. Both
| can open and close applications, maximize and minimize windows, drag things
| around, and basically do what they need to do. Neither are aware that when
| the operating system updates, so does all the application software, but both
| like that their software is always there, working perfectly. The adults are
| especially impressed that the software "comes to you" rather than you having
| to go look for it on the web.
`----

http://menpro.blogspot.com/2008/01/thank-deity-of-your-choice-for-choice.html

Even YiaYia loves Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people are still in denial that Linux is a viable alternative to Windows
| on the desktop. I have written numerous posts of my experiments with several
| Linux distributions and my dumping of Vista. In yet another post, I talked
| about my plans to switch my parents over to Linux.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/even-yiayia-loves-linux-20692

Why I Will Recommend Linux To Family This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| So, my approach to Linux in the family would be to start with the kids!
| Okay, I’ll give you a hint, I already have started with them on Linux, and
| it’s working.
`----

http://www.velocitywebdev.com/2007/12/01/why-i-will-recommend-linux-to-family-this-year/

Some Grubby Linux Games

,----[ Quote ]
| Not being a gamer, I have never been concerned by the “lack of native Linux
| games” and have been happily using Ubuntu for 2 years now. I also converted
| the whole house so everyone is using Ubuntu - including my kids. My kids
| (ages 7 and 11) do like to play games a bit and I encourage it on Ubuntu as a
| way for them to become familiar with the operating system and familiar with
| computing in general. So what is a father, teacher, Ubuntu user and not
| overly pro-game person to do?
|
| Enter Grubby Games.
`----

http://ubuntukids.org/blog/?p=63

Desktop Adapted for Dad

,----[ Quote ]
| I set my father's computer up with a GNU/Linux operating system. One
| basic feature of Linux is that each user has their own login to the
| system, and normally you do not login to the system as the super-user.
| This limits what my father is able to do on the system as he is not the
| super-user. To my surprise my father was delighted that he was restricted
| in that way, because then he knows that he cannot break the system by
| accident.
|
| To conclude I would say that my experience with my father and other
| inexperienced computer users convinces me that the modern desktop software
| is not obvious but that with basic training it is very easy to use. I
| firmly believe that anyone can use a computer, but it is essential that
| users have a properly configured desktop suitable for their use, as one
| size does not fit all.

Linux for your grandmother?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m going with Kubuntu (my favorite desktop) although Opensuse is really nice
| for newbies to understand. Also, if you are going to try this project please
| use the OpenDNS servers for DNS so kids don’t end up on the wrong sites.
`----

http://blog.banksnetworking.com/2007/08/31/linux-for-your-grandmother/

The 10 Commandments for Windows Users

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Thou shalt not use the system without expecting a random reboot
| make sure you back files up, nothing quite like an unexpected reboot caused
| by windows updates.

http://www.searchfriendly.co.uk/the-10-commandments-for-windows-users/

Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird, along with Firefox, are overkill for most Grandparents. Simpler
| applications would be easier to use. Epiphany is a good Firefox replacement,
| but I am not familiar with any other lighter-weight email clients.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/19/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-2/

Cutting the Velvet Chain

,----[ Quote ]
| *Ed does what the "safe mode" help screen tells him to do. He finds and calls
| the number.
|
| *Ed stays on hold for 73 minutes using a toll number because he was told the
| hold time on the 800 number would be 30.
|
| *Ed reaches a tech support agent for his system and is asked a string of
| questions no casual computer user can answer.
|
| *After 49 minutes on the phone with the tech support agent, he is told that
| his system is broken and he must reinstall.
|
| *Ed dutifully holds while he is transferred and then reaches someone who
| convinces him that Vista is indeed his solution.
|
| *Ed dutifully goes to CompUSA to purchase Microsoft Vista.
|
| *Ed finds a sales person and inquires about Vista.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/262-Cutting-the-Velvet-Chain.html

Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| It was time for a new computer for my Grandparents. Their ancient Windows 98
| PC had become so slow that it was unusable. The replacement, an inexpensive
| Acer PC, came with Windows Vista preinstalled. It was up to me to set up the
| new computer and support it. So I decided to wipe out Vista with a Debian 4
| base install and set up an easy to use environment for my Grandparents. In
| this multi-part series I will tell you about how I did it, starting with my
| reasons for choosing Linux over Vista.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/17/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-1/

Grandpa Gets a Dell with Ubuntu Linux Preinstalled

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very happy with my computer. I feel the price was reasonable, and the
| service was good. In fact, Dell appears to have gone to the "Scotty school of
| engineering" -- project how long you expect a project to take, then double
| the time. Then, when you come in under that time, you look like a whiz.

Ubuntu for your grandmother.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.knightwise.com/content/view/154/9/