[News] Industrial Computer Comes with Debian GNU/Linux Preinstalled

  • Subject: [News] Industrial Computer Comes with Debian GNU/Linux Preinstalled
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:00:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux-based industrial computer can take the heat (and cold)

,----[ Quote ]
| VSCom introduced a RISC-based industrial embedded computer that runs Linux.
| The ARM9-based OpenRISC Alekto comes with Debian Linux, can withstand
| temperatures from 14 to 149 degrees Fahrenheit, and provides interfaces
| including Ethernet, USB, I2C, serial, and digital I/O for hooking up
| industrial devices.

Related and recent:

Next Debian release by year-end... maybe

,----[ Quote ]
| The next release of Debian GNU/Linux, Lenny, is expected to take place before
| the end of 2008, senior developer Martin Krafft told a miniconference on the
| distribution at the Australian national Linux conference today.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16309/1090/

A Non-obvious Use for Debbie (a Debian 4.0 Home Server)

,----[ Quote ]
| So far Debbie has worked in all of the relatively simple roles I've put her
| to. AVI, MOV and JPG files all work well on either the Linux or Windows
| clients when served by Debbie. PDFs work in either Linux or Windows. They
| even work when accessed by browser plug-ins, either FireFox 2 or IE6 or 7.
| Copying files to and from Debbie by the kids has been easy to implement.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10007038o-2000440676b,00.htm

Five new firmware releases target Linux-based "Slug"

,----[ Quote ]
| An online developer community that distributes alternative Linux-based
| firmware for a low-cost networked attached storage (NAS) device has announced
| five new firmware releases. NSLU2-linux.org's newly available downloads for
| the LinkSys NSLU2 (aka "SLUG") include new Unslung, SlugOS, OpenWrt,
| Angstrom, and Debian Linux releases.

Ubuntu giving back to Debian: facts and numbers!

,----[ Quoet ]
`----

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=271