[News] Peter Day on Europe's Battle Against Hostile Takeovers and Cartels

  • Subject: [News] Peter Day on Europe's Battle Against Hostile Takeovers and Cartels
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:56:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Monopoly Money

,----[ Quote ]
| The EU Commissioner Neelie Kroes talks to Peter Day about her power and
| influence on takeovers and cartels ... and the benefits to consumers.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/inbusiness/inbusiness.shtml

Related:

Microsoft Responds as EU Considers Break-Up

,----[ Quote ]
| "It could be reasonable to draw the conclusion that behavioral remedies
| are ineffective and that a structural remedy is warranted," Kroes
| stated. While it may strike many as odd that the European Union
| could order a company located in the United States to split up or
| otherwise modify its structure, Kroes noted the possibility of
| such remedies is specifically mentioned in EU antitrust law.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Responds_as_EU_Considers_BreakUp/1177353952

Solving the Microsoft doldrums

,----[ Quote ]
| Commentary: Time to break up a company with too many balls in the air
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft worries less about Asia, since it has allowed rampant piracy
| of its products to continue unabated. In this case, piracy is a
| weapon against Linux and open source. But where's the profit in
| this defensive measure?
|
| [...]
|
| I have always believed that the best thing for Microsoft to do is break
| itself up into three or maybe four separate companies, and go from there. It
| has distinct mini-corporations within the structure already.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/john-dvoraks-second-opinion-time/story.aspx?guid=%7BAE94D3EC-D464-4F1B-8AC2-0B8FE9C7E5B0%7D&dist=hplatest#023261080932664657947
http://tinyurl.com/2o3vc2

EU warned to be careful on any Microsoft break-up

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission, Europe's top antitrust regulator, has never
| broken up a company for abusing its market dominance, although it
| has required major divestments by firms seeking permission to merge.
|
| The former U.S. official and other legal experts say the EU executive
| could theoretically impose such a solution on Microsoft as the price
| of doing business in Europe.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070508:MTFH74076_2007-05-08_10-08-57_L03505992&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/ywrzex

US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist

,----[ Quote ]