Re: [News] [Rival] Vista a Disaster for Microsoft, the Future is GNU/Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:50:52 -0600
<1e02hmlahgy64.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:00:55 -0600, John Locke wrote:
>
>> ...and yet just about every computer in every retail store has Vista
>> loaded on it. What I find totally bizarre is that the customer is left
>> with only one choice for the OS. Why not a computer with a blank hard
>> drive and the customer gets to choose from 10 or 15 different operating
>> systems ? In the next universe I certainly hope this will be the case.
>
> Customer: Yes, I'd like to buy this computer.
> Sales Droid: Ok, Sir.  Which OS would you like?
>
> Customer: I have no idea, why do I need to choose?
> Sales Droid: Because some companies decided it was uncompetitive for OS's
> to come with the computer.
>
> Customer: Just give me whatever everyone else uses.
> Sales Droid: Ok sir, here's your ticket.
>
> Customer: What do I need this for?
> Sales Droid: Since we're not allowed by law to have preconfigured PC's, it
> will take us 24 hours to Install the OS you requested, test it, and Install
> the options you want.  We have a waiting list.
>
> Customer: You mean I can't just buy it today?  I have to drive another 80
> miles to come back here tomorrow?  How )(*&# stupid!
> Sales Droid: No sir, that would be unfair to other companies
>
> Customer: What about being unfair to ME!
> Sales Droid: They don't care about that, Sir.

This may indeed be one of the reasons why Windows is so popular;
contrast the above scenario with one of these:

[1]

Sales Droid: Yes, sir?
Customer: I'd like a computer.
Sales Droid: Aisle 3 sir.  Which OS did you want?
Customer: What?
Sales Droid: OSes are on aisle 7.
Customer: Errrrm, OK, what's an OS?
Sales Droid: Without an OS your computer won't function sir.
Customer: I see.  Does an OS come with instructions of any sort?
Sales Droid: There might be some, depending.
Customer: On what?
Sales Droid: On which OS you pick.  There's so many distros, and
   some of them are online-only, which makes for certain difficulties.
Customer: *grumbling* I just want to use the computer!
Sales Droid: Yes sir.
Customer: Can't you make a recommendation?
Sales Droid: No sir.  Federal law prohibits me making any
   recommendation at all.
Customer: *fuming* WELL FINE THEN!  *goes off to aisle 7*

[2]

Sales Droid: Yes sir?
Customer: I'd like a computer.
Sales Droid: Aisle 3 sir.
Customer: OK.  *goes over to Aisle 3, comes back with a box*
   Erm...why do they all say "preinstalled with Windows Vista?"
Sales Droid: Because they are, sir.
Customer: *counting to 5* I mean, why not XP?  Or Linux?  Or FreeBSD?
Sales Droid: Ah, well, because that would cost extra to us sir; we'd
   have to test it, prove it, and of course fix it if something
   goes wrong.  Can't have that sir.  Anything goes wrong with a
   Vista-installed unit we just ship it back.
Customer: I see.  Does it have anything to do with contractual
   obligations to Microsoft?
Sales Droid: I'd have to refer you to Legal on that one sir, but
   I suspect that is in fact the case.
Customer: *resignedly* OK, I'll take this one.  But I will
   also complain to your manager and hope he has XP in his
   next batch.
Sales Droid: Yes sir.  Cash or charge?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
while(bit&BITMASK) ;